The Lure Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to go for salmon and seatrout on sunday, legally, cant be doing with the stress of any other way so Im after some day ticket infomation for any of the rivers in the SW, camel fowey tamar east lyn dart taw etc, its got to be spinning not just fly, and not a ridicous price either, the local rivers a non starter, not in the club dont have that sort of cash shame cant blame them.
being overly fussy like a nice spate river with plenty of deeper pools runs over hanging trees and the lower reaches too.
cheers mat

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This link should give you a link to the East Lyn which lends itself to the 'finesse' spinner - http://www.fishingthewest.co.uk/?page_id=276

A lovely area.

David
thanks mat and dave, thread got mored and feels like its been stuck in an old cubbord lol

david, been looking at the east lyn, spoken to the NT lady today its an easy possible, but having looked at a coulpe pics looks like little flow little room to make the most of a cast, not after the thames size but whats it actulally likehave u fished it ??

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
thanks mat and dave, thread got mored and feels like its been stuck in an old cubbord lol

david, been looking at the east lyn, spoken to the NT lady today its an easy possible, but having looked at a coulpe pics looks like little flow little room to make the most of a cast, not after the thames size but whats it actulally likehave u fished it ??
Mat

I used to holiday around Brendon and fished the East Lyn in that area. I also fished Badgeworthy water and I think Oare Water too but it was a few years ago now. In those days I fly fished using a 6 ' rod. I used to buy my ticket from the Stag Hunters Inn in Brendon. Not sure it it was the same NT water as I never fished downstream around Watersmeet, although I have walked all round there and followed the river down to Lynmouth. The stretch I fished was 'intimate' but quite productive for wild brownies. It is not a big river at all but there are some small pools where a well aimed Mepps will no doubt produce a response. A fellow holidaymaker staying on the farm I used to go to always holidayed there and fished the river spinning. He reckoned to catch a salmon or two.
Whilst out walking one day, just below Watersmeet, I watched an angler land a small grilse from one of the pools.
I used to find the river fished well just after a spate, when it was just clearing. There are some nice spots below Watersmeet to fish.

I reckon with a 6-7' lure rod you could have plenty of sport there if there is sufficient water in the river. However if the river is out of condition it is only a short way to Lynmouth and someLRF fishing and no doubt bass too.

Personally if you do decide to have a go may I suggest you walk the river first to see if it is what you want. Myself, I like fishing small rivers and pools particularly if they are difficult of access. However there is a good footpath all the way from Watersmeet to Lynmouth.

Here is a webcam at the Rockford Inn which is above Watersmeet and on a 'jungly' bit of river. - http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/south/East-Lyn/Rockford/

You have got me thinking now about returning next year for a holiday in the area again, although this time I will be armed with a 6' 4" Graphiteleader Nuovo Bosco and some small SPs

David

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dave thats brilliant thanks very much

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

What kind of prices are the memberships your way?
They are €130 here so good value for the year
over 300 hundred, wouldn be a problemo usually, but, you got to be nominated then seconded by the club members, theres a big wait for full membership its limited to 30 odd and covers the 3 main rivers round here, and to be frank they fking hate me or they did a while back, i dont blame them either one bit my own fault, ive stuck to a gentlemans agreement and left their 3 rivers well alone for quite a while, and educated myself as to whats invloved caring for the enviroment. they got all the best water on all the local rivers, and even then not all full members can fish some beats. be easier getting into the masons. if it was my river id shot anyone fishing fullstop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.