The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to give you an idea about what you can catch if you allocate some time to Pike, when bass fishing is out of the question, here are a couple from 2009 :cool: :cool: :D :D :D

Sorry, about the crap picture quality, but in normal manner I had of course forgotten my camera and had to ask my friend to use my phone.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr Zzippy said:
lovely esox there vidar. im yet to get my pics up!!! sort a photobucket acct out tmoz!
great condition on the pike in the bottom pic, troutwater pike i reckon (which one?)
The top one is 25.9Ib and came from the River Thames in the London area. The bottom one weighed in at 16Ib, is indeed a beautifully conditioned trout water pike, and came from Chew reservoir in Somerset. :D :D :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Great fish there Vidar, do they put up a good fight and whats your set up when pike fishing?
Not to sure about unhooking one of those babys if its a long way down, long forceps needed I think.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mosseydog said:
Great fish there Vidar, do they put up a good fight and whats your set up when pike fishing?
Not to sure about unhooking one of those babys if its a long way down, long forceps needed I think.
Yes, fish of that size and condition does indeed put up a good scrap :D :D :D

Normal forceps are not really suited for the hook sizes (2/0 to 5/0) you use for most pike lures and I prefer 10 to 12 inches long-nosed pliers. Some decent long side cutters are absolutely essential, so that you can cut straight through hooks when a pike have engulfed a lure (can happen even with huge Bull Dawgs and Replicant’s) thus avoiding damage to the pike.

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models. ... elID=17144

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models. ... elID=17146

Tomorrow I’ll post few pictures of the rods and reels I use for pike fishing

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks Vidar, those look like good tools at a decent price, and will look forward to seeing what you use.
Do you crush the barbs on the lures to make it easier to unhook them?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mosseydog said:
Do you crush the barbs on the lures to make it easier to unhook them?
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.

I have to admit I don’t have very strong opinions either way.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Iestyn, gotta get me some of that perch and pike action this winter! Oh, and learn how to smile when you have a cracking fish in your hand, would you? (just jealous, but nobody likes a smartar*e!) :lol:

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Awesome pics Iestyn !!!!!! Looks like i'll be heading over the mountain to Llangorse this winter !!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
NICE. I'd love to see more lure caught FW stuff go up on this section. Thanks for starting us off Vidar & Iestyn. I'd join you but Vidars much better at catching than he is at taking photos, wink, wink!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Mr Zzippy said:
Lewisman said:
[quote="Mr Zzippy":2ugbii5d]Si, Bryn Bach park (on your doorstep) has pike and perch, or Ponsticill and Dolygaer resevoirs aswell.
Just wouldnt know where to start !!

ohh mini-meet springs to mind!!! :D[/quote:2ugbii5d]

Deffo up for that !!! Anytime !!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts