The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a blank session on my (now dead) favourite estuary on Saturday, I decided to get the little boat out as, for the first time in ages the sea was flat calm.
Unfortunately as soon as I got set up the inoffensive drizzle turned into proper drenching rain. Unperturbed, I motored off to my favourite mark which I was hoping was going to turn on as it had in November the last 2 years but this year has been pants. Well after half an hour, nothing. I moved to another inshore 'hotspot' (I usually fish no further than 50yds from the shore) and it was the same story. By this time I'm thinking b*ll*ks - they've gone for the winter and was about to head home when I noticed a flock of gulls active well out to sea.
I'm a bit apprehensive about going too far offshore but thought sod it - the sea is calm, its already raining and I'm not getting a sniff here, so off I went.
When I reached the birds I could see about 50 black headed gulls and a few terns hitting the water regularly and getting very excited. I also noticed a few swirls so I popped on a Komomo 2 that immediately got attacked by the birds. Luckily no hookups but the plan needed to change.

Next up an Xlayer (green and pinky sort of colour - forget the name) and 10g head worked fast to keep it shallow and straight away I had my first mid-channel (ok - thats pushing it a bit!) bass.

Not big but nice to get off the mark. After that it was a fish every cast for 14 casts - the best was a nice 4lber which gave me a right runaround on my totally unsuitable boat gear. I couldn't get any pics as the rain would have wrecked my phone!

After this the birds dispersed and it went quiet so I decided to pop on a 20g head and see what lurked in the depths. I let the lure drop till it went slack and then bounced it on what felt like quite a soft seabed. I felt a few plucks but thought nothing of it then everything tightened - I first thought I'd snagged then it started moving - definitely not a bass - felt more like a carp! Anyway, I pumped it up and it pulled back quite strongly sending the tip of the whacker 2 feet under until I could see I had a cod! And I nice one at that - I tried to get a hold of it and suddenly it went nuts and thrashed about and in the process threw the hook. If only I had brought a net!

Anyway - a few expletives and i was down again and straight away another cod or should I say codling, this one was about 2.5lbs and didn't cause me too much bother (the last one must've been about 5 or 6lb). I decided to keep him as I'm partial to cod and chips ;-)

Another one followed that - about the same size but it went back, then those pesky bass arrived (never thought I'd say that!) and scared the cod away.
Total result was 17 bass 2 cod and a pollack. All in about an hour and a half - I was soaked through, freezing cold and very chuffed!

I've made a rough note of the area and am now looking forward to a new style of lure fishing this winter! I've got a 7ft very fast action 'Striper' rod which I bought in the US and should be ideal for these bad boys in the coming months - hopefully we will get some good calm weather - I'm so excited as I normally pack up around end november.

Here's a pic I took when I got back on shore of the cod and a bass which was beyond redemption having swallowed the Xlayer:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Mark!! Blimmin good going!! Bl**dy bass ;-) I'd have been more than happy catching plenty of cod on lures as well tbh. Keep at it!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Super report Mark, well done :clap:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Excellent!! Really enjoyed that report. Cod on a 'whacker eh.

Just shows the importance of watching what the birds are doing. Nice one :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Done well m8 - what looked like a blanker turned into a good session :)

I'm waitng for the day I say "bloody bass"

spoke to someone over here the other night that had 2 codling on bait , so who knows a few might fall to the lures if they are around!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Exellent 1 and 1/2 hours fishing, brilliant! I like catching cod too. Think I will be getting the pole out soon. Shame you lost the 5 - 6lber. couple of nice fillets off of that one.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Top stuff there mate, dream session! I really want to get amongst the cod on my lure kit this year! It's always a good feeling when you see those birds going crazy! :-D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks lads - just hope we get some decent weather again soon and really hope all the Cornish boys are OK after the flooding - looked nasty on the telly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well done Mark,pollock + cod + bass in a session should be considered a lure fishing UK "GRAND SLAM"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts