The Lure Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mrs gave me a very strange look this morning at 2:00am when I got out of bed to go pluggin. 3 1/2 hours latter I'm pulling on my chesties in the brilliant moonlight on Portland. Bloody freezing let me tell you. 5 hours latter I have caught bugger all but had the most brilliant time. Watched the sun rise in an almost perfectly clear sky, got soaked by a couple of big waves (water was cocking cold) and narrowly avoided death on the oh so slippery rocks. I felt 100% alive. A fish would have made the morning perfect but it didn't really matter. Almost four hours to get home, my fingers were still blue at Taunton! Mrs is convinced I'm mad.

But you know what, I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

:D

btw, the water was like gin.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done on getting out Greg, fish would have been nice, BTW water is clearing down with us as well at the moment.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Absolutely spot on Greg, some of my most memorable fishing trips have been blanks. There’s something very special about being out early in the morning with hardly a soul around, watching sunrise’s over mill pond sees, Dolphins patrolling and Seals acting the fool. Fishing is our purpose for being there but we just wouldn’t experience these things without this quest, so I totally agree fishing has a lot more to offer than just catching .

·
Registered
932 Posts
Wow that is some dedication. I LOVE reading stuff like that. For me its motivational.

Up at 2am. Near on 4 hour drive there. Watches the sun rise. Gets soaked. Blanks. Drives 4 hours home. Feels alive. Brilliant!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Couldn't agree more Capt,
Up at 2.30am, on a mark by 6.30am, fished new ground (love finding what is around the next corner), found some awesome marks. One fish darted at the lure, and turned away (must be doing something wrong) and dropped a small (about a pound) bass trying to beach it (yes I am a muppet-I am blaming the rod-honest!!!). Said LOTS of very rude words, and fished on for no more results. Drove three hours home, with a big dumb grin on my face. I will definately be back to this mark when it warms up. Bays, beaches, shallow areas with lots of structure and white water, rock heads that put you over deep water, an area with loads of tidal current (and I mean loads). I shared my little slice of paradise with peregrines and ravens, and NO ONE ELSE-perfect.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I knew you were mad when I met you! Glad you enjoyed your morning out on Portland - it's a pretty special place indeed...
PS Tried calling you Friday. Give me a shout tomorrow if you get a chance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The Mrs gave me a very strange look this morning at 2:00am when I got out of bed to go pluggin. 3 1/2 hours latter I'm pulling on my chesties in the brilliant moonlight on Portland. Bloody freezing let me tell you. 5 hours latter I have caught bugger all but had the most brilliant time. Watched the sun rise in an almost perfectly clear sky, got soaked by a couple of big waves (water was cocking cold) and narrowly avoided death on the oh so slippery rocks. I felt 100% alive. A fish would have made the morning perfect but it didn't really matter. Almost four hours to get home, my fingers were still blue at Taunton! Mrs is convinced I'm mad.

But you know what, I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

:D

btw, the water was like gin.
i tell you what guy's, for those who have to drive them sort of distances to fish marks i take my hat off to you, we sometimes get pi**ed of having to drive for 30mins or so to different marks, i guess that's what you get for living on an island.

kev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts