The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the eventful session in Thursday's South Westerly - things got more challenging from Friday as the wind swung round to a cold Northerly.

As a Sussex angler I seem to spend most of the time wishing that the water was clearer..well it certainly is clear now. However for me at least I find it far harder to predict where the fish might be when the wind swings round and blows from the North. Even on these big tides I sometimes think that it can become even more of a lottery than usual.

An way opportunities to get out and have a go have been limited this year so I wasn't going to let the wind stop me having a few more short sessions over the past couple of days.

Friday found me back at the same mark that was successful on Thursday. It was completely different though......still a bit of ground swell but the sea completely flattened off. Went over the top of the tide again but had to work hard with nothing to show for my efforts on either surface lures(patchinko, zclaw, duel aile slider) or sub surface (sasuke, artist, xrap)....

Ended up on a sea wall high above the water over some man made rocky structure. I dont like fishing here as landing decent fish entails a long walk to the beach but desperate times call for risks to be taken ! I have recently been trying some soft plastics and thought this an ideal time to have a play with a sluggo.

First chuck and as I was "swimming" it back towards me over the big boulders I could see a couple of schoolies drift up and have a look. They didnt seem overly interested though..until I brought he lure up to the surface and then they were keener. The larger fish showed amazing speed as it shot up and grabbed it before trying to get back into the rough. I managed to get it up onto the wall easily enough. I had been concerned about the hooking potential of the sluggo with the hook sitting so close to the lure but I should not have been as the fish was beautifully hooked in the scissors -about 1 3/4lb. Really happy to have caught my 1st on a SP. This was the only fish of the session.

Saturday I thought I would head further East to the reef. With one thing and another I was late and the tide was 1 1/2 hours up when I arrived. Had done well on 1st half hour of the flood last year at this mark but being late and the still present swell making life difficult (water colour and "fishability" in the shallow rocky/weedy water) I managed a blank.

Had a quick go today and again all quiet on the open beach. Just as I was about to think about heading home (a couple of hours down from high) I thought I saw a splash over to my right. I made my way over and on the 3rd cast there, a big grey back broke the surface as a fish missed the Patchinko. A few cast later and a fish took it..I was only attached for about 4 seconds though as it took line and then came off ! Gutted !!! I thought that having felt the hook that may well be the one chance to avoid a blank gone but somewhat surprisingly 10 minutes later I did manage a fish in the same spot. Not the fish I had seen or been connected to earlier as it would have weighed about 1 1/2lbish.

What may be of interest to Sussex bassers is this that was still alive in it's mouth as I unhooked it.

There were a few sprat (I think) about but hadn't seen any sandeels so perhaps the short period of activity coincided with their arrival.

All in all pleased to have avoided blanks on 2 out of the 3 sessions. I hope a few of you had successful weekends.

Ralph

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Top report Ralph. Seems you had to work hard for those fish. Well done.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Excellent report Ralph and nice to see a few Sussex bass showing. Well done!

·
Banned
891 Posts
Nice fishing there Ralph... Whats the colour of that Patch? looks good for matching the hatch n all that!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Nice catch Ralph. Not sure about now but we used to get a few sandeels when digging white ragworm on Shoreham beach. They were usually pretty smal though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice catch Ralph. Not sure about now but we used to get a few sandeels when digging white ragworm on Shoreham beach. They were usually pretty smal though.
I have dug them up as a bye catch in the Adur in October when digging the monster blow lug for codling a couple of years ago....perhaps this is when they turn up...was fishing VERY close to the Adur so perhaps a pattern.....the ones I dug were proper 5 inchers.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts