The Lure Forums banner

Sonik SK4 15-30g 9" lure rod.

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Danny Wyse 
#1 ·
Hey, has anyone any info on these rods, Looks a good little rod for the price, Wanted a good budget rod for friends who fish with us.

Regards,

Michael.

#3 ·
Be interesting to hear from anybody who's tried one. More decent, useable sub £100 rods can only be a good thing. Anybody?

#8 ·
Not used one. But had a good look at them after reading the rod test in Trout&salmon where they came out top. The only thing that put me off was the fact that they had, had trouble with some of their beachcasters snapping under load. (not saying that it will happen to there spinning rods BUT).

#9 ·
Just noticed this hasn't been answered, Michael. Tut tut!

Has anyone on here seen, held, fished with the new Sonik range? I know Alex (Jordanis) knows a bit about their manufacturing. Perhaps he could help?
My contact knows alot about where and how they are made - personally I would stay clear - a Bushwacker would be way better value :)

#14 ·
There is no hiding that the rods are made in the Far East, the guys at Sonik will tell you this. I have used a couple on loan to me and also was casting them at the Perth Gamefair last year.

The blank is actually quite nice, but ruined, in my opinion, by the build quality and rings. No getting away from the fact the rings are cheap copies of the Pac Bay Minima rings. The frames are extremely weak and they bend easily. Of the three rods I had a cast of, all three had twisted rings (Single legs)

I use Sonik Carp rods (SK4;s) and like them, but again, cheap rings..grrrrr. No issues with brittle blanks there, but yes, the beachcasters had a manufacturing problem. Sorted now I believe.

#15 ·
Hi, i've been using the Sonik SK4 15-30g 9 foot, for about the past year.
I bought it as it had a good little review in Sea Angler's bass section.
I found for plugs the tip sucks up alot of the action that you try to put into the lure.
Reel seat and finish of the rod is nice though. I've whacked it against a few rocks whilst plugging with no damage at all.
For sp's you do get alot of feedback through the rod. BUT with a 15g+ softitie on the go you've got no choice but feed back.
Its landed and handled wrasse over 4lb without any trouble.
Knowing what i know now (from this forum of superb knowledge and advice) i would not recommend it to anyone.

Hope this helps Stevie

#17 ·
I bought the Sonik SK4 7ft (c/w 3-10gms) Spinning rod about 3 months ago. (I never noticed this thread) I saw them at the Gamefair in July and quite liked the feel of them. I also read the Trout & Salmon review (for the 8ft version I think) which was favourable.

I have to admit that I do like the rod and it does all I ask of it. In fact I caught and landed a 16lb pike with ease. Not that I was fishing for fish of that size, my prime objective is large perch. I was impressed with the backbone of the rod despite some adverse comments in this thread. The pike was an angry fish yet was easily tamed by the rod. I don't mess about with a large fish and felt that the rod had plenty in reserve.
My only niggle with the rod is that occasionally the top section has twisted slightly after a period of use but I think that this is more down to my casting style than the rod, since it has happened with other lure rods I have used. I have a habit of 'flicking' the rod when I cast. I think I may have solved the problem by lightly lubricating the join area with bees wax, which is a little tackier than candle wax and recommended by one well known rod maker for such situations.

David

#19 · (Edited)
For the money i think the sonik rods are fine for friends to use etc and have certainly not found the bushwacker to be any better, ?...... We have a couple of 10 footers (not the same rod in the original question and not everyones cup of tea i know) amongst our armoury, a 4 piece and 2 and haven't had any problems with eyes or anything else yet. They outcast a lot more expensive gear and the 4 piece landed a 12lb bass last year without embarrassing itself .
They get a fair bit of punishment from boat fishing to salmon fishing , to float-fishing , soft-plastics , hard lures etc. I think they're versatile and am suprised people think they're no good for your friends to use . We haven't regretted getting a couple of them yet anyway. They won best in test in Trout and Salmon so we took a chance on them and think for the money they've done well.....................................theres a lot of rods out there though and you might well find something you prefer more . But you're right don't give your best rods to newbies .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.