The Lure Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , I posted a thread on WSF entitled " where Too " asking about locations in the South East .
I had a Pm from a guy who said " Cuckmere Haven " was a good spot to try .

I was wondering if anyone on hear had tried this spot and could give me the heads up .

thanks Brian

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hi Brian,
I was that guy on WSF, the reason I mentioned Cuckmere is that you had mentioned Flyfishing. Cuckmere is a great venue for flyfishing as it tends to be sheltered from east/west winds that we often suffer from in sussex. Two ways to fish Cuckmere, either park in thwe seven sisters carpark, walk down the path on the eastern side of the river, and fish the last part of the river, and the beach . Or Park on the western side of the river walk down and fish the reef/rocks on the western side of the bay. Be very careful on the reef/rocks, if you want to fish them, go with someone. And becareful of the river as it spills across the beach-current is stronger than it looks.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Pretty good, mainly a shallow runner/topwater lure venue, soft plastics on jighead might be worth a go in the river mouth.
If your looking a big bass, it might need alot of hours, but hythe has produced alot of good fish over the years.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi
First post from a 'newbie'. I have caught a fair number of bass from Cuckmere Haven but mainly on baits (peeler & sandeel) and have lure fished it briefly but got a nice 6lb fish. Being very dense and stupid I have not lure fished it since but intend to put that right this year. I had never really considered lure fishing viable as the water is generally very murky in this part of the channel (told you i was dense!) adn I know how little I see when diving! The whole coastline from Seaford to Eastbourne should be worth exploring with lures as well as the harbour mouth at Newhaven. If anyone fancies a trip once the bass move in, please give me a shout.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi Andrew

I'm just thinking of dusting off the bass lures. Would love to get something organised in the next few weeks, my time is a bit limited at the moment but I'm sure I can arrange a day at the weekend very soon.

Who else is in?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
all we need are some bass to arrive! Shouldnt be too long now since the weather has improved.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Right, bit late notice but how about a few of us meet this Sunday the 18th April.

Somewhere in the seaford / cuckmere area unless anyone with local knowledge has a better suggestion?

The weather forcast looks good with sunshine for Sunday and a few days before which hopefully might bring in some fish, there is supposed to be light south blowing winds which could keep the colour down.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2687

High tide is around 1pm which gives us hertfordshire/bedforshire blokes a chance to get down there in plenty of time.
http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0011

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Chad , I probably wont be able to do this weekend , i`m doing the mothering laws bathroom !! , but depends how much I get done friday / saturday

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Well being local I am reasonably flexible. I will have a word today with a well known local expert that i know and I am sure he will let me know if he has had any bass yet!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have spoken to Tony but he is not aware of any bass being caught yet although it surely cant be long now. It might be best to wait another week although somebody has to be the first!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
exactly! No-one will catch them if no-one fishes for them! :)

But I[ve waited this long, suppose I can wait a bit longer ;)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Well if heart beats brain in that tussle give me a shout but its along way for you guys if its still a bit iffy! I am going scouting probably on thursday night as there is a nice low tide so I can mark all the gulleys etc. Its meant to be recce only but I might take the rod just for a laugh, I will let you know if I get lucky.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cuckmere can be an enigma. For fluff chuckers try the ebb, wade out but keep out of the way of the main current (just to the side). Watch your footing but to be honest the reefs from Brighton marina all the way to Beachy can be better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.