The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a list anywhere?

I'd like to know who guides in this area. I'm thinking of getting some guidance and would like to know what guides are available, prices if possible and what area's are covered?

Living in Hertfordshire I dont get down as often as I'd like so a bit of local knowledge and experience would help me catch more fish.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Are you looking for any particular part of the south coast? I live in Sussex and not aware of any lure guides around this way.

There is a guy who does guiding for fly fishing in Chichester Harbour

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I think Nathan is the best man to ask Seems consistant and a nice bloke to He will get you into the better marks Good luck

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I should have been more specific!

I was looking for sussex, essex (if there is anywhere?!?) or maybe even dorset really, cornwall (although lovely) is a bit far for a weekend trip. I will keep Nathan in mind though, I do like that part of the country and will no doubt be down there for a holiday in the next year or two.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I very much doubt you'll find a (sea based) guide in Essex. Hardly any point plugging on the Essex coast.

Dave Irving (Sussex) who posts on here is a knowledgable chap and used to guide so why not contact him, Chad? He may even invite you along when he's out... I think he's at the Nantes show at the minute.

Hope that helps and good luck.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Chad,
The only guide in the sussex area is Justin that Alex mentioned above, he does have a good reputation as a fly guide, and I am sure he could put you onto the bass for some plugging.
However we will be having some Lure Forum fish in's in Sussex (as soon as the bass start to show). So your welcome to come along and meet up with some like minded guys.
Bass plugging in Sussex/Kent is alot more hit and miss than other areas of the south coast, basically anything other than northernlies will colour the inshore waters,the bass are still there, just much harder take. We do have some excellent venues though, and quite a few decent fish get caught along the sussex coast each year, so well worth fishing.
Bring lots of shallow runners and surface lures and you will have a ball. Google Earth is a god send for finding bassy looking areas. If your struggling then drop me a PM and I will give you the low down on a couple of marks. Two or three weeks should see the bass back on the sussex coast, so sharpen those trebles. It is nearly time.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again all

Dave, I've been down to Seaford and Cuckmere a few times and had some success at Seaford in particular right on the eastern side of the beach under the cliffs. Some nice ground there and I did see a very nice bass that must have been a double whilst fishing off the old broken jetty but the bloody thing turned it's nose up at my xrap and sedately swam out to sea. I was lucky on one occasion as it was a great sunny day with very little colour in the water. My mate who lives down there and usually bait fishes was most peed off when I caught a nice Spikey of about 3lbs, all he ever catches is wrasse and mackies but now he's got my old spinning rod and a few lures to try out :D

Cuckmere has been mostly windy and very murkey on the few times I've been. Normally end up in the river with some small mepps trying to tempt some of the monster mullet that never seem to commit. Damn things drive me nuts.

That's my biggest problem I guess. I'm limited to how often I can get down, mostly weekends and then it's just pot luck on what the conditions will be like. If I've planned the trip all week then I'm going no matter what the weather but then it's a case of making the most of it!

Can't rely on the weather forcasts, they never seem to be right! :(

I'm definitely up for a few meets though in sussex. Let me know when they take place and I'll be there.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Guys,
In a couple of weeks when the bass start to show, I would be happy to meet up and hit a couple of marks. The trouble with sussex is the wind, it colours the inshore water real quick if it is blowing the wrong way. So better to wait until the day before to choose where to fish, I will be out tomorrow to "try" another new mark tomorrow. Which will hopefully add another mark for when the southerlies blow.
Hitting bass in sussex is a bit of an odds game until may to be honest, you have to watch the weather and try to hit the right marks when there is some clear water.
Will keep the both of you in the loop as far as meets go, if you are struggling for locations, let me know and I will have a look around, and see what I can surgest. Just drop me a PM.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Guys,
In a couple of weeks when the bass start to show, I would be happy to meet up and hit a couple of marks. The trouble with sussex is the wind, it colours the inshore water real quick if it is blowing the wrong way. So better to wait until the day before to choose where to fish, I will be out tomorrow to "try" another new mark tomorrow. Which will hopefully add another mark for when the southerlies blow.
Hitting bass in sussex is a bit of an odds game until may to be honest, you have to watch the weather and try to hit the right marks when there is some clear water.
Will keep the both of you in the loop as far as meets go, if you are struggling for locations, let me know and I will have a look around, and see what I can surgest. Just drop me a PM.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
No worries Brian,
Will drop the both of you a message as soon as things kick off-just pray for warmer weather to speed things up.
Also keep an eye of the Meets section of the board, there will be meets in the Sussex area, and also in the Weymouth/Portland areas.

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again Dave, would definitely like to meet up in sussex once you think it's worth taking the trip. It'd be great to get some local advice and a bit of a heads up on what the conditions are likely to be before we get there!

I'm a novice but not someone you'd have to baby sit, I know roughly what i'm doing and due to the magpie in me I have plenty of shiney plastic and one of those garish red rods :)

Jon, we should definitely work something out soon. I only live in welwyn garden city so if we arrange a date I can swing by and pick you up if you like. No point both of us driving all that way. As long as you dont mind a bit of death metal :D kidding, I have a radio too.

I'm itching to get down there and chuck some lures. This weekend is out as it's my daughters 1st birthday but it's got to be in the next few weeks or I'm going to go nuts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Dave You may pick up on a couple of other posts I have just put on but having recently joined, I am keen to spend this summer lure fishing for bass. I have had some success bait fishing at Cuckmere Haven but I would guess the whole coastline between Newhaven and Eastbourne is worth a go. I fancy the coast between Birling Gap and Eastbourne as its murder to bait fish as the ground is so rough (you probably know it well!) If you are getting any guys together for a trip in Sussex, please count me in!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Andrew, Mike K told me that Dave has just moved pads and doesn't have broadband at the minute but I'm sure he'll see this when he's bank online.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi James, thanks for that - no problem. Hopefully it will be a nice long, hot summer!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hi Guys
STILL trying to get my broadband sorted-nightmare.
But with the calmer weather now, the sea is clearing. So thinking about trying a dawn session this weekend-probably in the east sussex area. If anyone is interested then stick a message on here, and I will check this thread tomorrow (friday) and let people know where and when.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Well I can do Saturday and poss Sunday at a pinch if that ends up as the prefered choice. I am doing a recce tonight from Birling gap towards Beachy Head as there is a nice low tide but will probably take the rod more in hope than expectation. Rumour is that very little bass have been seen yet unless anyone knows differently!? Somebody has to be the first!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Guys
STILL trying to get my broadband sorted-nightmare.
But with the calmer weather now, the sea is clearing. So thinking about trying a dawn session this weekend-probably in the east sussex area. If anyone is interested then stick a message on here, and I will check this thread tomorrow (friday) and let people know where and when.
Hi Dave I hope the move went well . Hows the Box situation ? !

I have just started the mothering laws bathroom , so I dont think I can make this weekend . But please let me know how you get on , and Hopefully I will get down there in a few weeks time , to meet you and the Bass ! LOL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts