The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planned to fish a few locations over a couple of days so first up was a mark between Bolt Head and Bolt Tail for the morning tide starting around 7am. An average SW coming in and the swell was pounding in some pretty large waves against the bottom of the cliff so it was dangerous trying to cast from a low stand point so I had to try from a ledge dropping about 15-20ft. Chose a deep diving white Hacker and soon had a few large Mackerel that gave a good struggle on my 8ft Shimano Beastmaster. The Hacker also picked up a couple of 2lb Pollack. Switched to a Tackle House Nabura Deka 30g for the first time since I’ve had it and after experimenting, landed a respectable pollack on the drop of over 2lb pounds. The high point was a 3lb Pollack right in the white water below on a Xlayer Giant Aurora Blue. Tried a few other plugs with no success then headed back up the cliff for bit grub. The views around this stretch of coast are spectacular so spent the afternoon stomping the coast path while looking for possible paths down to the sea without the need of climbing equipment.. it’s rugged.

Next up was Bantham in the late afternoon fishing the shallow gulleys off to the side of the beach. Again a good swell was bringing in some big waves, the sun was out and the flood was quickly engulfing the rocks so forcing me to retreat bit by bit. I tried a few shallow plugs into the breakers but couldn’t control them that easily, so rather than loose them I put on blue giant xlayer rigged weedless and three or four casts in, had a Ballan Wrasse of around 4 - 5lb. The biggest I’ve ever caught and seen by far. Think I need to invest in some scales! Really buzzed from landing his chap. Tried a few more casts then made my way over to the sandbank flooding over the mouth of the river. Unfortunately every cast was picking up tons of weed and the rain had come in off the sea by now and set in for the eve so I packed up and pitched the tent up on the coast path. It then chucked it down all night until just before dawn.

Next morning headed over to a mark between East Portlemouth and Prawle Point and enjoyed the sunshine while it dried everything out from the night’s soaking. The wind had dropped quite a bit but the swell was still big and the sea was crashing in over the ledges. It looked promising and by now it was high tide so I got a move on, tried a surface plug, a shallow diver and a few Xlayers but nothing was happening except for a few drenchings by the surf. The ledges slope up gradually on one side and drop right off on the other and in the rough conditions casting across them seemed the only option but this lost a lot of jigs but I had a good feeling about the conditions so kept trying. Put on a Sayori Shad and first cast landed a great 3lb bass from a close gully, after a fight, very excited.. Quickly got back in there but got snagged and lost the jig. Rigged up gain on another Shad and a couple of casts later had another. This time nearer 4lb, bloody brilliant. Got him back in the water and got out there again but snagged pretty much every time after that as the tide was pulling away quickly now and the breakers started to subdue, exposing more and more ledges.. Was a fantastic hour and half’s fishing though.

I’m quite inexperienced at knowing a good mark when I see one, but confidence is growing thanks to putting into practice the wealth of information available on this forum. Only downer was that I forgot my damn camera!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Well done Martin Keep at it There are some lovely spots around Portlemouth Stunning coastline

1 - 4 of 4 Posts