The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not had much to do with sp seen lot more on forums been caught like no what types been used what sort weight hook to use with them whats best method slow fast and what colours seem work well so can add few to my box heard mega bass spindle worm good but not sure on hook size or weight to use with these just purchased some off net 5 inch glow from shimreels as over here all out stock so be intrested here on your views thanks .rod

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Rod, you've asked the mother of all questions !!! To be honest, you've probably asked too much in one go. The answers would run to many many pages.

As a recent convert to s/p fishing though, as a starter for 10, i'd say you probably need to think about 2 basic types of s/p . . . a straight tailed type (Xlayer, Slug-Go, etc . . . . ), or a paddle-tail (DOA CAL, Spindleworm, etc . . . ). Both will work on their day depending on the water conditions.

As to how to rig them, again there are just so many options . . . . weedless, jig-head, carolina . . . again, each one is a whole topic in itself. A good reference though may be to look here . . . http://www.plus-fishing.com/uk/staff-blog/Iestyn-jones/?p=159 Iestyn is a member of our forum, and may well be along himself with some additional thoughts. Also check-out the Googans guide if you havent done so already.

Hook-size will be determined by the particular s/p that you are using - simply you need to be able to present the hook correctly in conjunction with the s/p.

As to further specifics of the techniques & applications of s/p's, have a good search through the forum using key-words that you pick up, as there are vast amounts of knowledge already shared through the threads, and you'll be able to draw on it using the search function (located in the top right hand of the forum page if you havent used it already). Following that, you may find it useful to post some more specific questions on techniques or lures that take your fancy.

Hopefully this will give you a starting point.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hello Rod. Its a massive subject and alot depends on conditions, however I have been using (along with a few others on here) dark green " 3" one up shads" from mrfish, with 7g (10g when conditions dictate) jigheads with a slow sink and draw technique and have picked up wrasse, bass, mackerel and pollock on this colour, weight and technique.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Rod

Like you I am learning about SPs, which I have never bothered with until I joined this forum a few weeks ago. My best advice to you is to spend a couple of hours trawling through the forum, perhaps starting with the 'Learning zone', then going on to the LRF and HRF sections. I GUARANTEE it will be time not wasted. You will learn a lot.

Have fun. Looking forward to reading about your successes with the SPs.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts