The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I am looking for advice. My general plugging rods work fine for most things but i want to use more soft plastics and I love my Xlayers. However, the standard rods are a bit over gunned for casting Xlayers with 3.5 gm jig heads!

My target fish is generally bass and often the Xlayers are used in rocky situations so I need a rod with a bit of grunt to hold (I hope!) a decent fish but soft enough to get a decent distance with light SP's. I probably wouldnt fish just SP's so a casting weight of say between 5 gm and 20 gm to allow standard plugs if the SP's dont work that day.

I like the look of the Injection as that seems to fit the bill but I am concerned that the relatively short length will limit casting range.

Any recomendations gratefully received.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
For me, the Injection casts plenty far enough in fact I have got shorter SP rods that cast just as well too.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have to say, reading what your suggested usage is likely to be....

The Injection is a tried and tested rod certainly upto general tasking.

It isn't super sensitive but makes a great HRF stick, skishing rod and, throws lures a long way.
Is very good at all methods bar Jerkbaiting but, to be fair, it will even manage that with smaller lures.
Build quality is second to non.

Mine has lived underwater for a long time and yes, cosmetically it's a bit worn in places but it is treated as a tool not a collectors item.
I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The Daiwa Infeet is excellent.

But the new Shimano range out in 2011 has some superb rods for about £30 if you want to wait. I tried the new range when they came over a little while ago and there is some real good stuff there specifically designed for SP's.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Andrew, I am asking a similar question as I want a rod to do the same job. My lad uses the 7' 10-30g Bushwacker which is great for the money, but I am considering one of the Shimano Drop Shot rods for my Xmas treat. MrFish reckons they're very nice for the money (just under £100 I think). I know Si Lewis is loving his Infeet as well...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
One of the things you might want to consider is that SP fishing is often (at least in my case) done at closer range than fishing with plugs or metals so a shorter rod isn't the disadvantage you might first think. Shorter rods make fishing SPs less tiring than trying to work a heavier longer rod too. 7ft suits a lot of people (including me) as it is a good balance between casting and working the lure.
I have a couple of rods that you can try when we meet up next, it will give you some idea of what that length feels like and whether you feel you need longer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
tim, i use the 7' shim dropshot and its great for the s.p's you can feel everything, great rod for the £

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your input guys. I know I can rely on the Forum for plenty of good advice!

·
Banned
792 Posts
Andrew, you had a look into the classifieds section of this board already? ^^

Have some 7 feet bushwhackers for sale there.

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
716 Posts
Some of the Irish lads I know and fish with are more than happy using their Injections for all kinds of lure fishing - and the rod chucks lures plenty far enough. Some rod.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ivan, I only cast a dexter with that injection and wanted one! What a rod! I love my mix 265 but it has no feeling with small or flat tail sp's and for me feeling the lure vibrating is very important as a confidence boost!

It's weird I went from 7 foot spinning rods to 9 but now would be happy with a seven again. However, I personally think 8 is a bit to middle road for me and it has to be either 7 or 9 and best to have both. Then make a decision which to leave in the car when you get a look at the sea!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Andrew - if you are coming to the Hampshire session this weekend I will bring the Injection
oooh! nasty mess! Cheers Ivan I an planning to be there - boss allowing!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I am looking for the same thing (3-5" softies+3-5g head) and I am looking at the Lucky Craft ESG 7'7" 3-23g rod.
Been using those Rains paddle tail softies in the 3" length,,,,,Awesome fish catchers.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am looking for the same thing (3-5" softies+3-5g head) and I am looking at the Lucky Craft ESG 7'7" 3-23g rod.
Been using those Rains paddle tail softies in the 3" length,,,,,Awesome fish catchers.
Thanks Nick. Ironically I may get to waggle one of these in the near future as it seems to fit the bill on paper! If I get to wave Ivans Injection at the hampshire meet it would be a good comparison.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nick, while I am at it and getting more into the soft lures - is that the Rockvib or the Shads?!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Works great in this range and MUCH better than the Injection which most people find better with 7g + lure.
With alot of use, the Injection WILL feel it's way around with a lighter load and of course, if retrieving, it matters no as it's all about casting distance.

But, LRF/HRF and soft lure fishing in general with plain retrieve styles means you are missing out on 90% of what it potentially, can be about. And of course, the results that can go with it.

a 4" lure on a 3.5g head can weight upto 9-10g depending upon type and make so falls in the sweet spot of rods like ESGII, the Silver Shadow, Shimano Dropshot, etc...

And, whilst each one mentioned will cast hard baits, only the ESGII has the ability to perform Jerk styles on sub 100mm lures with narrowish bibs.
The Injection is cool with 7g + SP and lures upto 125mm Jerk style at medium ranges.

The Bushwhacker.... 5g + SP, very light, actually better feel HRF than the Injection especially deadstick 'just tension' and, will happily jerk lures 125mm without folding up too much.

All work great with spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits, much more so than 'proper' plug rods imo.

Trouble is, 1 rod can't do it all, not properly anyway.

All the above is pretty much line diameter dependant too especially when Jerk style.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats very useful Keith and thanks very much for that. Its tough for those of us with limited knowledge and experience of different rods to make a decision on purchases without trying each rod for two or three sessions which is inevitably not practical. I fully accept that whatever the form of fishing we pursue there can never be a single rod that does all things at all times but posts like yours help decide where we are willing to compromise.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Well Hello again dear boy.

I trust your staff have fed and watered you and you are settling down for the evening, smoking jacket and slippers at the ready.

I too am in the market for an all round SP rod. I have had the pleasure of playing with Matt and Nathans Injections recently and I was really impressed. Interesting reading. I have had my eye on the lucky craft ESG range, but like you, I would like to at least touch and bend before I buy.

I think a solution to our problem may be for us to open our own tackle shop so we can try before we buy. A little extreme and bankruptcy may result but it would be good fun while it lasts.

I think it's the injection for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts