The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using add on scents to enhance there SPs?
Have you noticed any difference in catch rates whether good or bad?
If so is there any you could recommend to get me started having a go?
Gonna get some of this
http://www.pagan-magic.co.uk/shop/p...-3305?osCsid=79bf4c4523f7625d045822744901b5b7
And see if it smells anything like an xlayer.. if not going to try find some others and make some mixes and see if i cant make something that works.
Out of interest does anyone know what the xlayer scent is? or is it as i would expect a closely guarded megabass secret??
Oh and another question? has anyone tried any of the gel type scents for using on hard lures?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Now, funny you should bring up this subject, as i was thinking about it this morning as i drove the 94miles to my first fishing spot. I was thinking that 'hypothetically', the best scent for a predator would be 'blood' wouldnt it ???

It might be interesting to try that out ???

Disclaimer: Do not go and murder a person in order to obtain 'said' blood ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, i'm sure its aniseed but its most likely got loads of loads of other lovely stuff in it too.. probably some mix of fishy bits and pheremones and all sorts..
Would love to know as i'm sure it must be a factor towards there effectiveness..

·
Registered
437 Posts
I tried squidgies S factor attractant down under. Out fished the same lure without attractnt about 15:1.

This is what Steve Starling says on the stuff (although he endorses it).

"S-Factor is pretty amazing stuff. It’s a lot more than a scent additive or a flavouring. It’s actually a cunning mix of attack and feeding triggers tailored specifically to Australian fish (not carp or trout or largemouth bass!), and it’s so damn good, it will make Aussie fish bite things even when they aren’t hungry! Even more importantly, it makes them try to swallow those things, and it urges them to come back again and again to keep trying, even if those things are pulled out of their mouths! S-Factor is so damn good that neither of us are happy to fish without it on our lures these days… End of story.
"

The science:

http://www.digsfish.com/sfactorpresentation.pdf

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think that I've read somewhere that Keith puts 'smelly jelly' on his hands before handling lures, to mask the human scent.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I tried squidgies S factor attractant down under. Out fished the same lure without attractnt about 15:1.

This is what Steve Starling says on the stuff (although he endorses it).

"S-Factor is pretty amazing stuff. It’s a lot more than a scent additive or a flavouring. It’s actually a cunning mix of attack and feeding triggers tailored specifically to Australian fish (not carp or trout or largemouth bass!), and it’s so damn good, it will make Aussie fish bite things even when they aren’t hungry! Even more importantly, it makes them try to swallow those things, and it urges them to come back again and again to keep trying, even if those things are pulled out of their mouths! S-Factor is so damn good that neither of us are happy to fish without it on our lures these days… End of story.
"

The science:

http://www.digsfish.com/sfactorpresentation.pdf
+1 on the s-factor
works here in the northern hemisphere as well

Nick

·
Registered
437 Posts
+1 on the s-factor
works here in the northern hemisphere as well

Nick
Hi Nick,

I thought that might be the case. I am intending to import some this summer when I have the chance. I think the stuff certainly gives you the edge!

Have you tried it for bass? From my experience the stuff is so potent if there are loads of mackies in the water you may not have a chance to find a bass. I was pulling in bonito after bonito at a little town in queensland called 1770 also caught the only spanish mackerel of the day at 2pm - not an easy time to catch them from the rocks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
S-Factor only comes in the Pro series of Squidgies

Heres a few links:

http://www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_97_408&sort=2a&filter_id=434
http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/cats/lures.asp
http://www.amazonoutdoors.com.au/amazon.products.asp?CategoryID=824
http://www.onlinetackleshop.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=squidgy

Good Luck

Bass on a pro-series squidgy is on the to-do list year
(ordinary squidgies workrd great last year though!)

Pike and perch LOVE it

Some of the larger Squidgies come with it in an applicator tube which is really handy
otherwise i'd recomend you squeze the sachet into a film canister or similar to aviod waste

Nick

·
Registered
297 Posts
Cheers Nick but perhaps I should have kept that stuff a secret ;-)
look at it this way - if it gets popular enough someone may import it to the uk or europe
making it easier for us to get :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fair point. Squidgies is a branch of shimano so deffinatley a possibility there. I did a entreprenureship module at Uni and set up a whole buisness plan on importing the stuff to the European market and selling it with my own brand of soft lure. But in reality the fact the rights are owned by shimano would put a stop to that as they could easy do it themselves.

However, the time it seems to take from one branch of a fishing company e.g. shimano Aus to see the potential for a product in a different area seems to take a while.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Fair point. Squidgies is a branch of shimano so deffinatley a possibility there. I did a entreprenureship module at Uni and set up a whole buisness plan on importing the stuff to the European market and selling it with my own brand of soft lure. But in reality the fact the rights are owned by shimano would put a stop to that as they could easy do it themselves.

However, the time it seems to take from one branch of a fishing company e.g. shimano Aus to see the potential for a product in a different area seems to take a while.
Squidgies started off as a Blue fox product, then was bought from them by Rapala/VMC
Then all the Australian Import function for Rapala/VMC was taken over by Shimano Australia Ltd
Squidgy is still independent of Shimano, but to all intents and purposes they are one and the same as without Shimano, Bushy would still be in his shed carving lures for himself and a few mates

There is also the stiffy series (hardbodies) which are also supposed to be awesome (again Shimano are instrumental in advertisng and distributing)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I asked Starlo when they will be importing squidgies into Europe and apparently it's in the pipeline but they need more demand to make it worthwhile

easy answer - send me some more! :-D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.