The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been discussed before but do SPs have a shelf life? When SPs are packaged they normally have some sort of lubricant in there to stop them sticking and melting or to add scent like an Xlayer.
Does anyone know if this stuff degrades in time? Is it likely to put fish off if it does?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Whilst I'm pretty sure some soft plastics (scent mainly) degrade over time I'm catching fish on a regular basis with soft plastics that are years old. In fact, the shads that caught me both the zander and the perch on Grafham I’ve had for something like 3-4 years.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I think the big thing here is that plastics don't degrade. This is why there is heated debate over the plastic vs 'soft lure' in Freshwater Bass fishing circles.

In contact with water or left in open bags, yes, they do degrade from a 'fishing perspective'.

I too have sluggo's over 10 years old that are still as good today and they were then.

The big problem is ultimate disposal.

Thankfully, with people re-melting and recycling SP's becoming more common and the proven catch reports being in favour, perhaps ultimate disposal should just become a re-cycling issue.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
The stuff you find on some softies is silicone based lubricant that is used as a release agent to get the 'softy' out of the mould.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
On a slight tangent from the main thread and touching on an interesting point that Keith raised a week or so back, I recently bought some DOA Shads but noticed that they seem covered in an oily solution that smelt strongly of chemical (possibly the release agent that Nick mentioned). Given that many SP's have a scent designed to attract fish (Xlayer etc) surely this 'chemical' smell is a very unnatural and possibly off putting addditive? However, i accept that DOA Shads are highly regarded, hence I bought some! Should I be cleaning the shads off (with what!?) and soaking in some attractant?

·
Registered
498 Posts
definately better straight out of the bag, when i open a bag i rig about 6 on a few diff heads ready to go and still have a few left if i want to try something else, then back in the bag

1 - 7 of 7 Posts