The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The regulations for some waters state Landing Nets must be used.....fair enough.

Can anyone recommend a good 42" "Specimen" Landing Net for Pike?

:-D

·
Registered
268 Posts
There has been along thread on this subject on another site. (not the dark side) . The overall view seems to be that the Fox landing net is the best. Sorry I dont know first hand but hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave,

thanks for the pointer', it's looking like either a Fox version' or a Greys' perhaps......and hopefully (later) something large to go in it!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi Alan,
As an out and out specimen net, this is the net I have (although not used much lately) had pike to 32lbs in it and carp to 46lbs!!!
http://www.veals4carp.com/1012/Grey...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid1012

You don`t have to go to this epense though, fox warrior nets are a good option, so to are the Nas h-gun nets. I also have the fox stoway boat net which is handy as its easier to carry, you could also look at gye nets the mcclean ones are fantastic and have built in scales in the handle this is the nets we use on the estate. Lots of options and price range, really depends on the type of fishing ie static or roaming approach or both with regards to the design/practicality.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Iestyn,

The very net I was eyeballing yesterday.....looks to suit requirements well. The Mcclean' are a good idea and would be suitable for waters where net sizes have no minimum. In the meantime, if they go into the old, large Trout/Salmon net, they are hung there briefly by the Boga for weighing.

Could I extend this this subject slightly........whilst B.A.S.S. have a tape that is quite an accurate tool in the majority of "weight for length" cases.....is there a "length for weight" scale for Pike? They do seem/can do differ quite a lot.....I suspect there is not.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mark,

as suspected, it looks like there is liable to be a lot of variation in weight between fish of the same overall length, handy though.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
For me since the mid 80s I have always used Terry Eustace nets and not just because I am near the shop,the big nets are very good and have an alloy cast spreader block that wont fracture.
The fish lie length ways in the 'very' deep mesh,I used to use 42" but upgraded a few years later to the huge 52" one.
Sounds big but it makes landing fish very easy and also the mesh is good to.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Am i the only person who spends about 10 freaking minutes untangling my trebles from my net after landing a fish ???? What a pain in the ass !!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am i the only person who spends about 10 freaking minutes untangling my trebles from my net after landing a fish ???? What a pain in the ass !!!
Simples' .........pinch down those barbs'.......works for me.........:wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts