The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads

The spigot on my Teklon seems to have loosened or something as now there is no gap at all between both pieces when the rod is joined together.

Placing candle wax on it has been suggested to me to fix it.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
Crevan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi crevan,

Candle wax will work but only for so long...not ideal for lure rods as your always casting the wax wont last long.

What you can do is cut about 5mm off the female section of the spiggot remove any excess whipping thread/epoxy and then re-whip and epoxy the now cut section to ensure its strength. Only thing then is the male section of the joint if tight may need a very light sanding with a very fine wet and dry paper to ensure a snug fit(ordinary sandpaper will ruin the spiggot only use wet&dry) Remember only a light sand a few turns should do....Also when you sand the carbon with the wet&dry paper it will expand slightly because of the heat caused from sanding.

I have done both methods described above and would suggest the second its the only job really and the rod will be as new. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help Ger.

That sounds like delicate work!! Unfortunately God blessed me with 2 left useless hands when it comes to doing things like that!!! :)

I have also heard of a carbon spray that might do the job too???

·
Registered
129 Posts
It sounds tricky sorry but its handy enough I even done It with fly rods......Youtube helps for things like that also? Do you know any rod builders?

I have not used any sprays to be honest.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Crevan,
That's sounds as if it is down to heavy wear mate..sometimes okay if the rod is years old sometimes down to poor quality manufacturing products. I believe there is a carbon type spray that can be used to help bring this back up but candle wax will work I've used it myself. If it is a newish rod go back to the manufacturer if not then send **** ward a note I think he may have the carbon spray in stock but I am sure he will be able to advise...... Hope this helps..

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Trev

I got the rod back in March/April sometime so it is relatively new. But in fairness I would use it quite often...every day of late. I would seperate it after each session or if driving to a different mark. Is the constant seperating it the cause?

Also I have been using it while in this condition (even landing fish on it) is this ok to do or will I damage it in any way?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
If it's got that bad in such a short period I would be ringing the supplier & having a chat with them. You may get a replacement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I see your based in wexford....Did you buy it off angela murphy? If so drop it into her she is sound when dealing with complaints. No crap just good service.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Got to agree with Zziplex there mate. Don't let them get a way with poor quality products. It's not uncommon..Grey's moved their manufacture to the far east and had manufacture problems for 18 months or so and other companies have as well. Take it back mate.....

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I think the carbon spray is only any good at preventing spigot wear. I spray my red rods spigots every few times I use them, and so far so good.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok.
Thanks for the replies.
I think the general consensus is to have it replaced.

Ger I did get it in Angela's. She is sound alright. I might pop in after work.

Thanks Guys

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats the response I have ALWAYS had from her.....the main reason that I keep going back to her. She is very good like that.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Angela is A1, it will be sorted

Hope its sorted by Friday cos im talking the day off and you know where il be going :lol:

... Deep down you know you want the 702 :D

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
are you going cheating on friday Danny sounds like you are to me......I ts donkey day Friday.........

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Angela is defo A1. I'm back and running again....She took one look at it and said "Oh-thats not right" and within seconds I was equipped with a replacement. Now you just cant argue with that!!

I know I wont be able to join ye lads on Friday but I dont mind.....I know deep down that that Friday will be refered to as Black Friday after the donkies fail to show up. They will be there on Saturday though.....I'll tell ye all about them!!

By the way Danny I'm still waiting on that guiding fee.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts