Spinning for mullet? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Spinning for mullet?

Discussion in 'Metal Lures' started by {name}, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Sandeel

ive been having a go at this lately. Haven't managed any mullet yet just loads of tiny bass (4"). I did manage to catch a couple late last season but not yet this year.
    I've been using a mepps spinner with the treble cut off and replaced with a bit of FC and a size 8 hook on bottom. My problem is the FC keeps getting twisted and weak. Do people reccomend using something different? Also what size spinner do people find best?

2. Striper

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Striper

Hi Dan

30 odd years ago when we started making these lures we first thought we would use as fine a mono tail as possible as we were mostly fishing in clear water and believed the age old mullet myths about being impossible to hook unless you scaled down to micron thin line.

The mono we used was 4lb maxima and it twisted horrendously but we were loath to use anything heavier in case it put the fish off. We used to replace the 4lb line numerous times during a mullet spinning session.

Eventually we twigged that the thickness of the line made no difference as most of it was covered up by the piece of worm and the fish were so close to the worm / lure that they couldn't see it anyway.

Since then I've tended to use 15lb hard Mason mono as it's stiff and doesn't kink and lasts for several sessions until I would replace the hooks and mono anyway.

There's some recent mullet spinnage here:
    http://www.mikeladle.com/catch/catch356.html
    http://www.mikeladle.com/archive/catch532.html

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 5
  4. Sandeel

Thanks for replys. Just had a look at both and have learnt a few things. Interesting how one Steve uses 6lb FC and the other Steve uses 15lb mono.

5. Blanker

That's one beast of a baiter spoon...ill be tryin that out,cheers for sharing it man...

6. Mackerel

I use a bit of 15 pound mono as well and I use a mackerel spinner with the treble cut off ... it spins easy at slow speed I find, and the size dont seem to put them off.