Spinning for sea trout | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Spinning for sea trout

Discussion in 'Metal Lures' started by {name}, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Perch

Can any body help me what metal sinners and colours to catch sea trout

2. Sea Trout 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

I have a few on the hansen lures Jase.

http://www.lureshop.eu/seatrout/hansen.html

Hansen pilgrim ( silver and red and silver and blue ) and hansen stripper ( white one)

I would say not to go too big - 10 gram size.

I am sure there will be some variation for your local area but generally Sandeel type patterns should work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Perch

Thanks Kevin m8 appreciate that m8

4. Pike

I would be inclined to agree with Kevin. Most of the Hansen lures are ideal for sea trout. If I was to pick a favourite, it would be the blue/silver Pilgrim. Some other manufacturers make similar silda type lures which will work too. Also worth looking at the Westin inline lures, such as the D360 and Sommet, although you'd probably have to purchase from Denmark or Sweden

5. Perch

Thanks Danny will look at them to

6. Throbbing Member

As Kevin says the Hansen pilgrim ( silver/red and silver/blue ) the hansen stripper ( white one) 10g to 15g size.

Small Abu krill or toby metals.

Colour of metal/lure is all dependant on the sea colour, the sky colour, day or night & baitfish that are in season.

Don't underestimate black, orange & red as colours for lures.

Sea trout 1.jpg Sea trout 2.jpg Sea trout 3.jpg Sea trout 4.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. Perch

Nice one Nigel some nice fish there m8

8. Pollock

If I remember correctly , did some of the Isle Of Man members catch some on Isome ragworm as well ?

9. Throbbing Member

Only whilst LRFing around the harbours Gary

10. Mackerel TLF Sponsor

Pink/White is a good colour combo but the classic is of course Blue/Silver. Hansen lures are great also worth looking at LRF metal jigs ... in and around 5 - 7g. Anything small, slim is usually a good bet.

I have also had sea trout on soft lures such as the FBM 70mm and some other small shrimp patterns.

They can be very fussy eaters but really good sport due to the challenge of catching and keeping them on the line ... double split rings is usually a good idea. Also found singles produce a better hook hold.

11. Pollock

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Sandeel

Call me old fashioned,but...I had two in two casts yesterday evening on a size 3 Mepps Aglia long.You do not need to spend loads on modern lures.....although I suppose I do that anyone! Whatever you use think about depth and speed....good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sprat

cracking article and tips on seatrout cant wait for my licence to drop through the letter box so I can have a go early morning before work! cheers Gary.

14. Pollock

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  15. Sprat

Hi Gary I will be hitting the water as soon as i can i am hoping to have my licence delivered this week and hope to add a lure caught seatrout caught in the sea to the ones that i have caught on a maggot on a teal and silver in freshwater.

16. Sprat

as soon as i am able i will be trying to nail a seatrout on a lure instead of the maggot on a teal and silver in freshwater.

17. Perch

Nets have got them in. Jase

18. Bass

19. Blenny

a few guys use them with a bombarda float over here they have had canny results as well

20. Throbbing Member

Ragworm of all types are on the sea trout menu all year around.

So there is no reason why a natural or any artificial ragworm won't work 365 days a year. Be that Isome, Gulp or a fly pattern.

The same goes for shrimps, prawns, beach hoppers etc.

In the summer months I often see big sea trout in the shallows, upended, head down grubbing around & their tail out of the water. I guess sucking food items out of the sand.