The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some lures come with split rings attached some do not. Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to using split rings? Do catch rates differ?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Hi Nick. If you mean the split rings on the nose, I am now in the habit of removing them when I buy the lures. I use clips and attach direct to the built in ring.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm not sure of the usefulness of the split ring, i usually leave them on but clip directly to the nose ring of the lure. They're just another potential failure point IMO

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Mmmm....I've wondered the same thing i.e.'What are they there for?'.

Some lures come with them, some don't??? I find attaching my clip to a lure that does not have a split ring a lot easier than with ones that do have one. After reading the above posts I think that I'm going to take them all off.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
when tying line direct to the lure i remove the split ring, this enables you to change the action of the lure by moving the knot high or lower on the nose if it slips a dabb of glue may help,

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Like Tony says, if you're looking in to it hard enough to want to dictate a certain action or slight variation in bouyancy then you'll have to tie direct. A clip will only come off in one direction and will add that touch of weight (that most of the time you won't need to worry about) that you may not want if you're getting in to specifics. For the majority of people though, this will be something they don't want to think about. Same applies to the split ring. It's not at all necessary so I'm not quite sure why they put it in, but it's weight could play a part if you're looking for perfect suspension (for example). Like I say though, not something the majority will want to worry themselves with.

Reactions: Toby Harnett

·
Registered
28 Posts
I always remove the splitring from surface lures; in my view a splitring is kind of limiting the ideal action you want to give to surface lures. For diving lures though it does not really matter, and mostly I leave the splitrings on these lures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts