The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I nearly went our to try for a bass tonight - but a meeting about my pension (!) and some further work stuff got on the way. I was still at home at 7.30 so opted for a quick trip to the river. It is less than a mile from the front door so I wouldn't have any travel time. Despite being easily accessible it isn't a bad spot to while away an hour.

The river was lower and clearer than my last trip out so I opted to fish a lighter leader -3lb , and fish with duo method which allows me to fish a bit further away from my clumsy feet .

For anyone who doesn't fly fish much, this is a buoyant fly on the leader with a smaller nymph fished below. I didn't use a dropper , but tied the nymph on to the indicator fly but knotting the leader directly on to the hook ( New Zealand style).

It worked quite well and I managed to winkle out about a dozen little wild brownies. Nothing massive , the biggest about 30 cm , but great fun on the little fly rod.

Someone been having a chew on this fella

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good work Kevin. If I try to fly fish in that spot I'd just be catching bits of tree!

That's the open bit Jordi

Casting is lots of little flicks and roll casts mostly.

Still catch a few branches here and there but luckily I didn't loose any flies in the trees yesterday. Not always like that though ...

·
Banned
1,732 Posts
Good Trout session Kevin. I'll have to look up New Zealand style as I'm struggling with the fly, although it could be too easy to give up and get the lures out.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good Trout session Kevin. I'll have to look up New Zealand style as I'm struggling with the fly, although it could be too easy to give up and get the lures out.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Stick at it Mark. Some of the rivers you fish look tasty and I'm sure once you crack the fly formula you will do well.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Beautiful spot Kev - still not been out after trout since my fly course in December. However, at least I now understand what you are doing and what's involved. Really enjoyed this report and the photo's are brilliant,. I particularly like the second pic. A great place to fish and chill. Thanks for sharing Kev.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts