The Lure Forums banner

SP's for pollock

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Barry Howlin 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’m off to SW Ireland in the New Year, hoping to target pollock on soft plastics, grubs etc. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on types of Sp’s that might do the business? Firetail worms have worked in the past, but any other thoughts?

Cheers

#4 ·
Now that is a lovely pollack Simon, I am guessing it went well too.
Always good to see what is working, as it means we can refer to these threads as and when we target those species.

#7 ·
Marcus, used SPs alot this year on the reefs off Cork/Kinsale using the exact same SPs that I use for Bass off the Shore. X Layers were taken with gusto and normally on the drop. Ayu was the only colour I had but very effective, the only problem is that they lasted for two fish tops. I also used Senkos Dolive Sticks and wave worms to equally good effect, Irish Pollack are not that fussy when conditions are right.:wink: The SPs were also very effective for the Cod regards, Bob

#8 ·
Hi Marcus, have a look at my mates blog here http://lurefishingwithdanny.blogspot.com/2010/07/mind-blowing-fishing.html for SW ireland pollack info.

I go every year (it was his first time) and we catch most of our pollack on 3 and 4" curly tail Kalin grubs or small spoons like the bridun lance (sadly no longer made) but the cheap fladen ones are good and dont break the bank when you lose them in the kelp and rocks. colours dont seem to important but my preference is chartreuse, white or pepper pearl. Dark green ones seem to pick up the wrasse too.

#9 ·
Cheers for the replies - lots of ideas!!

Adrian - thats exactly where i'm going, The Beara. Went there earlier in the year with the missus, and managed to sneak a few hours off Dursey, non stop action but mainly off smaller pollock, up to 2lb. Hope to get into the bigger ones this year, if we can find the right areas..

#12 ·
In my limited ammount of sp fishing for Pollack I find colour wise: Black with a red tail works, and blue or white do too, well they are my go to colours for pollack.
I was convinced about Firetails for a good while Mick, now I'm not so sure. They will pull some out but those cream/green swim senkos have been doing it for me this year.

#13 ·
Most soft plastics will work as said before they aint to fussy but if you want to be ahead of the game its very simple STORM SANDEELS will out fish just about everything else for the Irish pollock you seek........................

Reactions: Marcus
#19 ·
Hi Marcus,
Wave worms have been the hot sp this year in red with white tip. They are 7" and fished on jig head. they are also greta for cod. They also last a long time and not very expensive. On your way to west cork stop at Dan's at Halfway and he will give you some of the best ones!

#20 ·
I have visited the Dingle area for the past 4 years and I have had the most success using the 4" & 6" Tempest Sidewinder Sandeel Green lures 2-3ft behind a 2oz ball weight to get the lures down in to the kelp.
Water Cloud Smile Outdoor recreation Sky

This went just over 6lb and was one of many using the above set-up. But if the Pollock stop biting then try a change in the speed of the retrieve and lure colour.
The main thing that I have found to catching Pollock is fishing when it is dull and overcast.

Lovely area. Good luck

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.