The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been really trying hard using SP's the last 4 or 5 times i have been out.

I have switch to YKG 1.2 which has helped but the RLSD isn't really designed for this type of work, maybe time for an injection :eek:

Mainly xlayers of small/med sizes with 7/10g jig power jigs.

I have now had 5 good bites and the last snapped the xlayer after I thought it was going to pull the rod into the sea :)

i am finding most bites in close, bouncing the jig slowly in, pausing, lifting, pausing

Does it sound like i an doing things right? why aren't I hooking anything?

Cheers

Hywel

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Hywel
I am doing the same as you and catching a few bass this way and most come from right under my feet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
great link martin. i've found this thread having just bought some xlayers after Ivan kindly gave me a selection of sp's in cornwall earlier this month (thanks again Ivan). yet to get to the coast to try them out - didn't make it out of the van yesterday at one of my spots due to the wind.... roll on the weekend.

rich

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Hywel
I am doing the same as you and catching a few bass this way and most come from right under my feet.
Cheers Mike,

I am just getting concerned that I am doing something wrong as i am not getting any one the hook

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
In my limited experience I find that less is more with the xlayers. Let it sit and occasional twitches. Keith has blooged about (I think he called it) dead shaking.
I have now had 5 good bites and the last snapped the xlayer after I thought it was going to pull the rod into the sea
I'm not sure what you mean by that? If the fish hasn't got the hook within it's mouth I can't see much hope for a hook-up?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hywel - Like you have the RLSD and went for the Injection earlier this year thinking it would be better for SPs and it is......but still not convinced when I have used it 7/10 jig heads I feel its still too heavy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my limited experience I find that less is more with the xlayers. Let it sit and occasional twitches. Keith has blooged about (I think he called it) dead shaking.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? If the fish hasn't got the hook within it's mouth I can't see much hope for a hook-up?
Hi Tim,

I felt 'Takes' on the lure but didn't get a proper hook-up.

If you know what i mean.

Cheers

Hywel

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Are you guys fishing with the hook point skinned or exposed?

Takes with no hook up are very common when pausing the lure on the bottom. Wrasse are the main culprits for biting an xLayer in half around the rattle area. It all depends on how the fish takes the lure and you can't control that. You can improve the odds by reducing the length of the xLayer by cuttting a cm or so off the head end, or go down to Tiny xLayers to fool the fish. If it is wrasse that are biting try a purple lure, that colour worked wonders over here earlier this year.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
paul,might be an odd question but if the fish hits the sp and tears the tail from the lure and was to swallow it,would it harm the fish or would the acids break it down and pass through,cheers daz.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Paul,

The time which this xlayer was snapped was just below the hook...

Cheers

Hywel

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Wrasse bites are more of a "chomp" although some of the bigger ones grab the lure and don't react very quickly when you strike.

What you are describing sounds different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts