The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was my first real test for the SPs I have been converted to using since I joined this forum. Most of my lure fishing is in freshwater and for some years I have used Mepps spinners exclusively for perch, chub and pike, with much success. I have always fished light. My favourite rod is a 6ft Greys G-Lite which casts 3-15gms, although I occasionally use my ‘heavy’ rod which is the 6ft 6ins version, throwing 5-20gms { http://www.greysfishing.com/en-gb/products/rods/spinning/g-lite-spin/ }.

I was fishing in the Cotswold Water Park and had 6 small pike, best about 3lb, which all gave superb sport on the light tackle (6ft G-Lite). Much tail walking. However I did lose a good pike which I estimate to be about 15lb. I played this fish for a while and almost landed it until it gave one huge jump clean out of the water, with gills all flared. A very angry fish! Unfortunately at this stage it shook its head and the hook came out.

I lost quite a few fish, which I must assume is down to the single hook, especially as I was fishing texas rigged. The water was only about 2-4ft and weedy but I never ‘caught’ any weed. I used 3”Baby jerk shads, 3.5”Tiki grubs and 3”Big Hammer baits.

An enjoyable day. I was amazed at the action of the SPs in the water, especially the Baby jerk shads. It is hard to see how any fish can resist them.

I am afraid that my Mepps are now going to be confined to the tackle box.

David

·
Registered
381 Posts
nice one David!

yes they do work although I lose more (bass) on trebles than the singles. Don't forget to let them 'take' it. They don't usually let go once they have it so you've got more time than you think.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
nice work david must get up cotswold water park only 30 min from me.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one Dave. I used to do a lot of fishing in the water parks area. Sadly it was mostly under a bivvy for Tench and Carp

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Sorry David, only just caught up with this report. Well done on the s/p success . . . . it can become a very addictive way of fishing ;).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts