The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I havnt nbeen squid jigging for a few years now, used to do really well about 10 years ago but kinda got sick of the squid squad when it become more popular. Anyway, I know how to do it, and what lures work well, thing I want to do is turn it into a more modern style. Its huge all over the world, and the Japanese and French really enjoy it on light tackle. I mean I used to use an uptide rod!! I am hoping next season, if there is a season, to get into some light tackle suidding. The season over here was always regarded as late sept til xmas, but I wonder if thats an old wives tale?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
we get a run of cuttlefish close to or on the shoreline in april/may just before they spawn. They take jigs too, that might stretch the season abit. UK Eging only a matter of time. Andy got a couple in Weymouth last time we were down there. On the right tackle they can go quite well, if not for long.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mean little predators in their own right squid, watching them stalking baitfish can get spooky.
But rings in breadcrumbs bit of garlic, freash fried with a cold beer in the other hand, is hard to beat.

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are probably my favourite food, inyet I only eat some squid maybe half a dozen times a year. I do take a box of squid home from the bait freezer every now and then and chop up, rollin galic salt seasoned flour and deep fry, simply awesome with some sweet chillie sauce as a starter, cheap and tasty.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Overseas I have always done well on orange or pink jigs, fished close to the bottom. Does the same thing work here??

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly the same Dave, pink, red or orange are the best by miles. I have some colour changing yo-zuri ones that are 10 times as expensive as the cheap ones I sell, the potuguese community that buy alot of squid jigs laughed at first when they saw the price, but over the last three winters they are have sold more and more, they are admitting they are by far the best, so it got me thinking on some of the other Japanese ones available. Watch this space at the end of 2010.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
UK Eging only a matter of time.
we do it. Light gear...

Saying this, we had a few discussions recently regards the squid on ultra lite gear.

I've caught em in the day too, by accident and in April/May

We get loads hitting the plugs at night. Lights NOT required.

UK Eging ?

Just around the corner I think.

Our squid can easy go 4lb, some say they've had em over 3kg !!

Kev has had some monsters over the years. I once had one so long, held up above my head length wise
the tentacles were still on the floor. No S**t.

Had most of the big ones fished deadstick on the bottom after a long fall.

Loads of possibilites and, when it kicks of like is predicted,it will deserve and Eging (squid) section..

I have the Eging DVD en route ....

·
2,560 Posts
I love squid jigging, so accessible here to have a go at them, funny enough they are caught here within the first few frosts in the autumn and then disappear when the whiting arrive just before christmas. Day or night, but night time being preferred. Under lights, in the harbour and around lit up moored boats are a good bet.

Rods normally used any spinning rod is fine with either mono or braid, a drop net is a must though. Preferred colour for myself would be pink, jigged over weed beds in clear water on an chilled evening has squid written all over it. Usually if there is more than one of you fishing close together the first hookup is generally followed by a second.

Agreed, with the choice of jigs available on the mainland uk, there is def scope for more. I see more and more guys having a go for the squid here every year and would totally be in favour of more tackle choices relating to squid jigging.

Uk Eging for sure, they are there lets go get them!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I love eating squid so would be well up for a go at them. Not sure if they make it this far west though? ****, let us know what jigs you are getting in...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hmmm, another target for this year. I have never fished for squid but will try this year after hearing reports of them being caught locally last year.
There is a whole range of eging gear in Japan. As big as Seabass at least. Some of the rods would likely make nice bass lure rods too....

·
Registered
722 Posts
I tried it last year on our coast and the remarks of the locals and others was very funny ie you need locking up for trying that, we done get Squid in uk waters,

Ha very strange how theres allways hundereds spawning nr where i tried for them, to this day ive never let on that i caught plenty on the nights got INKED once once bitten twice shy,

good scrap on light gear,

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Some of the Egi techniques and available gear are mind boggling.

Andy: That is some jet engine to hook into m8, serious Squid.

When you say 'proper' jig, which one ?

I like the colour changing jigs in various sizes but again, on light braid.

I reckon I've used rods totally wrong for it based on what I'm seeing on the Japanese Eging vids.

Loads of scope and plenty of time to prepare for the Egi onslaught of 2010.

Egi Bumble anyone...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Oh, when I meant proper squid jig, I just meant a jig for squid rather than a bass lure. It was a cheapo Fladen one or soemthing like that.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Ah, ok m8..

That's a proper Squid though eh.

Awesome really. Our harbours get mobbed by the squid crews but some of my best Squid have come from the rock marks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
They are still arround I must have spotted about seven in the last couple of weeks. I had a few small ones hitting the sp's down at bonne nuite. Me and ritchie saw a monster down rozel

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Oh my god, Andy - that's a monster! Delicious....

1 - 20 of 121 Posts