The Lure Forums banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Bob:

Get the stove ready...

It seems Squid does contain a good deal of cholesterol yes, HDL cholesterol though not LDL.

US Heart Foundation said:
About one-third to one-fourth of blood cholesterol is carried by high-density lipoprotein (HDL). HDL cholesterol is known as the "good" cholesterol because a high level of it seems to protect against heart attack. (Low HDL cholesterol levels [less than 40 mg/dL] increase the risk for heart disease.) Medical experts think that HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body. Some experts believe that HDL removes excess cholesterol from plaque in arteries, thus slowing the buildup.

shellfish are all fairly high in cholesterol as compared to the same weight of meats like beef, lamb and chicken, the difference is the HDL compared to LDL cholesterol, which is the one that clogs arteries. This is the difference between the good and band cholesterol everybody talks about.
I'm tripping on Egi's and the science backs it up. Long live the Ika.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I love this forum. Look away for too many hours and we have 5 pages of fun and enthusiasm to catch up on.

Did anyone ever see The Ultimate Fishing Show, with Matt from New Zealand? Big Marlin man, anyway they were on for a record 21 marlin over 200lbs in one day and the very last one ran off with all the line, and I mean all the line. It was pitch black by now and eventually they managed to claw back the line until the Marlin was along side the boat. Only to discover it had been mutilated by a giant squid. This Marlin was well over 200lbs anyway and the giant squid had chomped it's way down to the spine and more than half the flesh was missing. The beak marks left holes bigger than a hand span per bite. It was only then that they realised why the Marlin had taken all the line as it was obvious the giant squid had taken both on a jaunt. Monsters of the deep !!!!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
... I don't doubt your findings Paul I just think the picture is far from complete...
Oh for sure we haven't got the full picture yet.

Maybe the reason I've been lucky on big shads off the boat is that the wrasse could be used to the odd mouthful of baitfish out there.

Off the shore a different story perhaps, but just in case I have bought some big craws for the boat and they are sitting stewing in crab juice right now....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Skinning squid

Was talking to Mick today about cleaning squid.

Removing the skin is one thing. If you do that, score the squid on the inside and cook it it curls up nicely. Yeah we all know that. Nice firm texture.

But, if you remove the thin membrane on the outside of the squid (ie after you've removed the skin) and score it then it will not curl up and stays uber soft. To remove the membrane you need a sharp filleting knife and to approach it like skinning a fish fillet. The membrane is transparent, maybe a little opaque and it is hard to get it all off without a bit of practice...

But if you've never tried it give it a go. You never know until you try...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Oh for sure we haven't got the full picture yet.

Maybe the reason I've been lucky on big shads off the boat is that the wrasse could be used to the odd mouthful of baitfish out there.

Off the shore a different story perhaps, but just in case I have bought some big craws for the boat and they are sitting stewing in crab juice right now....
I think we'll learn so much more this season with the wrasse and soft plastics.

Oh, btw, the Ika's are still here, we saw a decent one earlier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I staeted jigging for squid last year here in S.Devon . . There's a pier in Torbay called Haldon Pier where we jigged regularly from February 'til early June (having most success in early April) . . Our most numerous squid (loliga Vulgaris) is reputedly one of the best for culinary purposes. When people tell you that they don't like squid because they tried it on holiday somewhere, the're talking about a different species !!
It's gotta be my favourite food on the planet !! A Spanish mate of mine swears by eating them cooked in their own sepia! He also says that cuttlefish taste just as good, if not better !!
. . . I can't wait to try the skinning method Paul, need to sharpen my fillet knife! . .

·
Registered
340 Posts
About 18 months ago I was getting on at my m8 kev when he was ranting on about Squidding as he had become a addict but I never gave it a go myself then.

Then Last year a few days before the Bass fest I went and bought a few Jigs and headed north late one night on me own , 1st cast I was into a resonable size squid and that was me hooked literally and ended up with 7 in total that sesh - Kev was the 1st person I called next morning :)

At first I used them as bait , then after a few tips on cleaning and cooking I never used them for bait again , soooo nice to eat

Head off, remove innards , peel off skin , open out and wash , then as Paul B says remove membrane , it is finnicky but I just pick it off and dont like the look of the membrane , score the flesh with a knife , cut into small strips , marinade in a bowl with olive oil , salt n pepper , chilli and soy sauce - then quick fry in hot pan for 3 mins max (I prefer 2 mins) and enjoy.

In the colder months was a easy way to get a bit of fun and fresh food in - some of the venues get a bit hectic in the evenings, seen 20+ people jigging at BB some nights , which is why prefered to go late at night when quieter - and whatever the tide low or high they still there if the water is they where , but not every night as sometimes they just couldnt be found.

I prefer to fish the places with sandy bottoms as when your hands get a bit cold and you wanna pocket them for a bit you can just leave your Jig on the bottom and wait - a lot of times following that wait , wind up slack , small twitch , squid on !

Great fun on lightish gear , smallest I had was about 6" and the biggest about 2ft.

Most Jigs seemed to work , cheap ones for a cple of quid thru to the yo-Zuri chameleons at £££ - Kev botched a pearl sidewinder with a squid jig spikes in its back and caught one 1st cast!

Would really like to know the season pattern for them as most peops say oct - jan here , but have seen one caught early sept in daytime and have heard they where still about a couple of weeks ago but they where not interested in taking the jig - last one I caught was 10th Jan.

If you have never tried it give it a go - cant wait till they back again!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The earliest I can remember them being caught in Jersey is the first week of August. I managed a bonus 1 last year that took a fancy to my Tide minnow 125 SLD in early September.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Does anyone know if you can catch them anywhere in West Wales? I love squid to eat and think it would be good fun to catch them too.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Does anyone know if you can catch them anywhere in West Wales? I love squid to eat and think it would be good fun to catch them too.
I really dont know the range of UK squid Tim, its seems common knowledge says that squid only frequent our south coasts, but that may be just tradition to think that. Whats the furthest north people know of them being caught on jigs from the shore in the UK?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I would expect that on the South Pembs shoreline there would be a chance but I am relatively new to this part of the world in fishing terms. I know that Dorset is a recognised hotspot for them, but why? Geography or the fact that people target them and not elsewhere? If I thought there was a good chance of them over here I would certainly have a go!

81 - 100 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.