The Lure Forums banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Some beautiful MegaBass 3.5 sized Dart Style Egi's came through the door this morning.
Eye catching isn't nearly a good enough description.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I really dont know the range of UK squid Tim, its seems common knowledge says that squid only frequent our south coasts, but that may be just tradition to think that. Whats the furthest north people know of them being caught on jigs from the shore in the UK?
We were out in the boat last back end in Derbyhaven bay and the water was absolutely thick with them. We were trying for them with our macky feathers, I managed one, lovely it was in a salad! This year, I've bought a couple of squid jigs for the purpose, they are very cheap ones from tacklebargains, what and where are the best ones? (there I go again, upgrading before I've even tried the old ones!)

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I first went jigging over here about 20 years ago maybe more, it was great and there were alot of really big ones around back then, like 4lb'ers were fairly common. We just used to use basic jigs, then got into the egi prawn shaped ones, but to be honest the old style ones were just as good. Well I am looking forward to trying some modern ones that have had Japanese magic dust sprinkled on them. I just recon if there are squid around more of the UK than is believed it could become quite popular. This season should be interesting.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tim,
even if there isn't any squid, the chances are that there are Cuttlefish, I would guess you have seen Cuttlefish backbones on the beaches. They will take jigs just a readily as squid.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's a good thought, Dave. I've had a few when wrecking in the past, but never from the shore. What time of year do they come inshore?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
April/May time around here Tim. They come in to spawn/die. But they do feed as they do so. Very popular to fish for them here, as not only are good to eat, but they make excellent bait-locally concidered better than squid as a bait for bigger bass.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
April/May time around here Tim. They come in to spawn/die. But they do feed as they do so. Very popular to fish for them here, as not only are good to eat, but they make excellent bait-locally concidered better than squid as a bait for bigger bass.
Cuttle is one of the most abundant food sources for many species here in Dorset, and when it comes to the use as bait, well give them what they want.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Nice one Callum, I managed a squid on my tide minnow. First cast, I thought it was a bass.
yeah same here Gary it wasnt my first cast but it was during the day which threw me a bit

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
yeah same here Gary it wasnt my first cast but it was during the day which threw me a bit
Why ?

Do all the Squid evaporate in daylight ?

You wait till we start eging in daylight m8, we'll get em.
Jersey ain't special in that our squid only feed at night. It's just another traditional myth.

Bass can't see plugs at night, Mullet don't feed at night, ALL sandeels bury themselves in the dark, the list goes on...
It's all just traditional BS.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Why ?

Jersey ain't special in that our squid only feed at night. It's just another traditional myth.

Bass can't see plugs at night, Mullet don't feed at night, ALL sandeels bury themselves in the dark, the list goes on...
Ha Ha i saw that post coming a mile off keith.

I just meant i wasnt expecting a squid at the other end of the line.

Yeah im up for getting some of them cuttlefish soon but i wouldnt know where to start. Im sure you will reveal some secrets closer to the time tho

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Ha Ha i saw that post coming a mile off keith.

I just meant i wasnt expecting a squid at the other end of the line.

Yeah im up for getting some of them cuttlefish soon but i wouldnt know where to start. Im sure you will reveal some secrets closer to the time tho
You are coming with us m8.

You are hereby recruited into the IKA squad. Me and Kev get loads of squid and cuttles every season regardless of month or time of day on plugs. Just got to convert it to using egi's.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You are coming with us m8.

You are hereby recruited into the IKA squad. Me and Kev get loads of squid and cuttles every season regardless of month or time of day on plugs. Just got to convert it to using egi's.
ah sound when does this kick off then?? also what lures will you be using are they just normal squid lures? will i get away with using the smix 240

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
ah sound when does this kick off then?? also what lures will you be using are they just normal squid lures? will i get away with using the smix 240
Research and advice suggests a cuttlefish invasion sometime mid April onwards for around 6 - 8 weeks. We also get a smaller species of Squid all year and the veined Squid which hits the shoreline late August thru Jan ish. Not sure of it's actual name YET but I have some 2.5 sized egi's to tackle them.
I've just invested in a sizeable range of egi's from the top Japanese manufacturers but I guess the stuff we use already has a decent chance too. Only time will tell and of course, we've got to learn to do it first. The Japanese fish in ways we just, don't ! I'm learning though and have already sat through hours of research video/DVD footage learning movements etc.

SM will be fine. I had some big squid on my 270 last year and as long as you don't pull their heads off, the SM has a nice BIG IKA action. Good for size 3.0 thru 4.5 I'd say at an educated guess now I have a real Eging rod to base things on.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The biggest squid I saw last year (late August) was caught in daylight on a set of feathers, it had actually grabbed one of the hooks, not just become entangled.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why ?

I must admit I have always beleived that you don't get squid in the day as that's what I've always been told, but then again I have never tried to catch them in the day.

Until this year I would have said that we only get them from Sept to November, but they deffinatly were here earlier than that last year and some are still reported being caught 2 weeks ago.

All this goes to show that alot of that traditional info is not always right I guess and the best way to know if they are about is to go out and try catching some.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have caught decent squid in daylight on legered sandeel intended for rays. Yum yum.

Cuttle fish reach plague proportions and seem to take lures or bait all day and all night. Yum yum.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I have caught decent squid in daylight on legered sandeel intended for rays. Yum yum.

Cuttle fish reach plague proportions and seem to take lures or bait all day and all night. Yum yum.
Paul, I hope I can find somewhere where they are accessible when they do. I love cuttlefish. Always seemed a waste when we used it as bait on the boats for wrecking. Best conger bait there is a cuttle gut....

101 - 120 of 121 Posts