The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the usual Rod characteristics for say an average egi lure?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
8ft -- 8ft 6"

powerful but....that BENDS !
Must be able to move the Egi with successive and aggressive strokes yet be soft enough not to bump Squid off.

Some would say strong enough to lift Squid but I wouldn't.
My Eging rod would lift a pound Squid but if it broke it would be purely my fault. As our Squid can approach 7lb + take lifting out of the equation and concentrate purely on Egi action strokes and the ability to feel OTD takes and touches. Again, like HRF / LRF, you need to know when the Egi is falling and is on the bottom.

I have the Daiwa Egee 2 - 4
I really like the Tenyru Brigade. Most UK Squidders utilise 3.5 or size 4 Egi's

I have expanded the range from size 2 to size 4 and we'll see what the Squid like best.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
yep, will be very good Carl.

SM240's and 270 already tried and tested.

You just need to be careful you don't overdo things but, as for the Eging actions in the water, it is very good indeed.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The Injection would likely be better with a Squid on than the SuperMix but.....
It would fold into the Egi with the aggressive double strokes common with Japanese Eging.

The SuperMix Gains with lifting power but, lifting a 2 or 3 kilo Squid isn't going to be recommended regardless of rod.
We've lifted 1 kilo Squid on SM's though and that was fine. Even my proper Eging rod folds right over trying that.

Then again, an Eging rod is supposed to do that to stop the spikes (kanner) being pulled away from the Squid.
Can still be used with aggressive, power strokes though. Weird actions. Take a look at that Fibreglass Tenryu in ****'s (Brigade).
Totally awesome and I defy anyone to even suggest it feels like glassfibre because it certainly doesn't. It feels better than most carbon rods.

I have to buy it at some stage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts