The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dave.

Not sure about squid in the areas that you mention but I do know that they're caught off Princess Pier in Torquay from anytime starting now. PP is not too far from Bigbury/Start Bay. The Chinese are apparently into them big time. I've also seen squid in Plymouth at Elphinstone near the Barbican. Not caught one myself yet

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Dave,
Pretty sure that Mick at MrFish has some squid jigs in stock (link to his website on the index page), If that is no help PM me and I might know somewhere else that you can get them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hiya Dave, I know some guys down your way who travel up to Torquay to catch squid, Princess Pier under the lights. I'll ask them if there could be any places towards Kingsbridge that might be worth a flick. I can't see why they wouldn't be at those areas especially the rockier marks. . .
. . I've watched the squid and cuttles sneaking up to the juvenile pouting and attempting a lunge at this time of year, so, if you can find the pout then you might be in with a chance. I'm not sure they're predominantly here for a feast though. It seems that many are laden with eggs so they are preoccupied with those natural urges and I suppose if a meal appears, opportunistically they'll grab it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lets start again Jerry thanks apparently pout are common in large numbers in Start Bay along Slapton line might give the rocky ends a hit at high tide as soon as my gear turns up. Also remember Bass Buddy of mine complaining bitterly about loosing sandells to Cuttle just over the Bar in Salcombe might be good also.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Squid (and the odd cuttle) are being caught again off Princess Pier in Torquay and other local marks.
Use a proper jig, but you seem to get better results if you float fish the jig quite deep - seemed strange to me but that was what people were doing - when in Rome etc - and my lad caught 3 in 20 mins.

·
Registered
583 Posts
We had 2 jigs. Pink and Green my lad choose the pink one and it seemed to get the results. We fished the evening so a different colour may be better earlier in the day.
Don't forget to take a drop net.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I seriously don't get squid fishing - why do people do it? enjoy it? love it?
Have you eaten fresh squid before?? That's my reason. That and they look funny.

Dave

If you look for somewhere with a big light on the water in or around a harbour, that's a good start. Anywhere that will attract lots of little pollack and pout. You will get them loads of other places as well - if you're ever plugging and keep feeling little tugs, that's squid or cuttle normally. They don't like swell and/or colour, and clear water in full darkness I have found best. Fish the edges of the light. I use squid jigs from Mr Fish, and fish them on a kind of dropshot arrangement, bouncing bottom with an ounce of weight, jig about 3ft above that. They will take stationary lures freely, so dont be too rushed with it. They are generally made pretty slow sinking, almost neutral in some cases, which is why I use the dropshot type arrangement, as the water I fish is generally upwards of 15ft deep, and I catch most of my squid deep.

A cheeky little tip when you buy your jigs, the 'warm jacket' ones have outfished standard jigs 5-1 some nights. Also, don't put your head too close to them when you are landing them, in case one inks you straight into the mouth and makes you retch and dyes your lips and chin black. I've heard about that happening :-?

·
Registered
709 Posts
A cheeky little tip when you buy your jigs, the 'warm jacket' ones have outfished standard jigs 5-1 some nights.
Hi Mark,
Time for me to display my ignorance again . . .
'Warm jacket'? I've checked all the usual suppliers and I can't see any reference to 'warm jacket'. Am I reading too much into it - do you just mean that jigs painted in warm colours out fish the ones painted in cooler blues and greens etc.?
Tim.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.