The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of a few people catching Squid on jigs in and around Weymouth for a few years now but I have now heard of them being caught off Brighton Marina. Is this a welcome rsult of global warming or have they always been around?? Has anyone specifically targeted squid and if so can they recommend any locations or give any tips and can they be caught in daylight???

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Rich,
we had a go for them in September down in Weymouth, and Andy/MosseyDog had a few nice sized ones (should have lent him the "other" jig I had-D'Oh)
There is a good run of them here in Brighton at the moment - 2 spieces infact, a smaller one that seems to be feeding through the day light, and a larger species that is more active during the night (especially in areas with some artifical light shining on the water)
Orange and pink jigs seem to be the better bets colour wise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

I will have to give it go next time i am down in weymouth (or Brigthton!!) I have seen reorts of jigs being fished beneath floats, is that how you fish for them or do you cast and retrieve and can you recommend a make/model of jig?????

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have always fished them cast a retrieve, but there was a guy in weymouth fishing them under a float, and he was cleaning up.
Make wise I have used several different ones, all with success (overseas) I hear locally that the Tronics ones are favourate at the moment.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Rich, there is a section on this forum dedicated to targeting Squid, it called 'Eging' which is the Japanese term for it, as they have been doing it for hundreds of years and are now pretty handy at it. A lot of us here in the Channel Islands thought that Squid were only really catchable for a month or two in the autumn. But then people fishing specifically for them at night in the harbours carried it on, and they've been caught all the way through practically.

So how it applies to you...well I had previously taken it as fact that it wasn't worth fishing for them, as they wouldn't be there, but then the intrepids over here ignored previous 'fact' and proved it was horse manure. So give it a go! Its going to be Cuttles next down here...

Have a ganga here : http://www.thelureforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

1 - 6 of 6 Posts