The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
That looks like a real good deal Hyw', i think i would go for the intermediate line given the choice though, just to get below the surface.. (if i'm wrong i'm sure somebody will correct me,,:))

I've just bought the "deal of the week" from Garry's,, and seeing that the line alone is worth nearly £90.00 i think it's a good 'un...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Interestingly I bought the Ron Thompson outfit on the same page and from Garry Evans for my start into piking and then used it on my first couple of salty outings before using the good stuff... I have to say that the rod is bullet proof and has worn well... I don't have any knowledge of the Airflo...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Looks like a good deal, Hywel but I am no expert in these fluff-chucking matters. Congratulations on the baby as well! Will you be able to get away for our Bumble at the end of the month now?

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you can get to the shop try and hold the rod, the only advice I can give with a fly rod is if you can try the rod before you buy. If this is not possible see how the rod feels in balance and weight.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't know about the rest of the kit, but I got myself one of the reels with the intention of using it for some salmon fishing and then swff later in the year. I've not used it for either yet, but it seems good to me. Nice (for the money) drag and pretty robust.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a good deal, Hywel but I am no expert in these fluff-chucking matters. Congratulations on the baby as well! Will you be able to get away for our Bumble at the end of the month now?
Hi Tim,

Thanks. Hoping to make it, the missus mum should be staying around then and she's given me the green light as long as she's here.

See you soon.

Hywel

·
Registered
71 Posts
The RT is a much better buy (59.99)

Certainly go for for the Avalanche (29.99) + spare spool

Best budget line is the Shakespeare Worcester range (circa £20)

Get a floater, you can add sinktips later

A lot depends on your budget and usual fishing terrain, of which more info would be useful

Shop bought carded flies are useless (those dragon ones on the GE site are the pits)

Some of the serial tyers on here would be pleased to get you started (Free)

K

·
Registered
10 Posts
Used a lot of the Airflo rods in the past. I like them a lot and think they are great value for money. I broke the tip on one, and the whole thing was replaced with a similar model for £25. Not bad saying as that rod was nearly ten years old.

As far as I am aware, all of the Airflo rods come with a similar guarantee (certainly hope so, broke another last week !)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts