The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you laugh or say 'its just not cricket', have a think, as I have been toying around with the idea recently.

Basically, think paternoster rig. A lead on the bottom, flat lead maybe to hold better with less weight. Coming off the swivel further up the line would be your chosen lure. Leader length would be something to be worked out. On the end of that goes a floating plug/lure of some kind, something with a low activation speed.

I have fished recently a few places that are deep, with strong current. I am wondering if it may be effective to be able to present a lure down near the bottom, that would fish almost static, like a preyfish just holding station in the flow. It could maybe be hopped down, snags allowing, so you can cover more water. You would fish it practically static, just holding the rod. Depending on current and amount of lead required to 'hold station', a standard MH lure rod would do the job.

So, as I said, don't shoot me down, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sounds like quite a natural presentation. was trying something similar the other day in a fast flow - casting out a zonk letting the current take it along as it sank then stopping the lure and letting it work in the current (lure was slowly rising with the flow) then letting it go again to sink and travel with the flow then repeat.... actually thought about doing something similar with some weight to hold a deeper depth

·
Registered
519 Posts
mark, we've been using this tech on/off for many years, it does work, be careful with lure choice, you don't want a lure with to much action, read up on some of joe buchers work with this technique for walleye and musky.

kev

p.s, also look into steelhead fishing it's a technique they refer to as plunking.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Sounds good.
I'm thinking Feed shallow(low activation speed) and the bass have never seen it so deep LOL!!!!!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
theres nothing wrong with trying new ideas out mark, sounds good, first thought was tackle loss tho are you fishing clean ground? have look at dropshot thread in the hrf/lrf section keith mentions some rigs which enables you to change depth, might be useful, good luck

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Mark, I believe this method of presenting plugs was used off bridges with fast currents.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I could see circumstances where this could be a useful tactic. Possibly you could probably keep tackle losses minimal by using a 'rotten bottom' weak line from the swivel to the weight? We used to use old spark plugs as weights fishing very snaggy ground with baits especially if long casting wasnt really needed but fast running tides might require more weight than that!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Mark, I believe this method of presenting plugs was used off bridges with fast currents.
And on offshore reefs by commercials posing as charter skippers or is that charter skippers posing as commercials LOL.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I used to fish redgills in the current like this. A bit more 'disposable' that hard plastics too. Like Kev mentioned this method is popular for steelhead and salmon fishing in Canada though I couldn't remember the name of the technique. I am sure in the blurb that came with 'Canadian Wiggler' lures years ago it showed how to fish them like that.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mark,
If you have that kind of flow, seriously think about drift baits. Something like the Eclipse Drift Pencils, TackleHouse Cruise Stickbaits, Mars Barvow. Awesome in fast flowing water and great natural presentation. Not the easiest way to fish to start with, but very productive once you get the hang of it.
I am betting the Brothers White, use the drift technique.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts