The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling to find fish of the correct colour over here... Silver!!

So another weekend...

Saturday, low water early afternoon, bright clear sea and sky but a nasty old NE wind making it difficult at the mark chose for the tide and cover needed with the clear conditions.

SP's as always!! Back on the Illex Vale Tudo with my butt section back. Not impressed with Illex but that's another story. Feels fine as it is at the moment.

2nd cast and we're into a fish!! Good sign surely, please be a bass. Nope.

Pollack but it put up a fair fight, better than a pollack usually is.

SmDSCF3222.JPG

The next half hour gave another 2 of those up to about 3lb, the second was on a sidewinder as well and the third came to a zonk which I was trying and gave up with due to the nasty cross wind not playing ball and letting me do what I wanted. Only heavier SP's were possible to get out there with the wind.

The I was working a darker lure back pretty deep on the drop off hoping for a bass, Savage gear Green sandeel in 16cm - 42g and I had the take of all takes. Big hammering hit and heavy head shaking staying down very deep and kicking hard. Has to be a shiny this time I think as I end up having to almost drag the thing up. The dirty fighting should have led me to know what was going to appear over the kelp strewn ledge but I was still hoping... Can't have an angler without optimism!!

smDSCF3225.JPG smDSCF3229.JPG

He looked much bigger but only went 3-10 on the digi scales. What a fight though. I have to say I am impressed with the power and action of the Vale Tudo, it is a stiff rod, it has to be to cast 60g and it's also quite thick but you wouldn't know it if you shut your eyes. Perfect easy bite detection and light as a feather.

that was to be the last fish of the session as the tide had nearly reached low water and the water simply stops moving half an hour or so before low water and the fish all go home. I was getting tired and had other things I should bedoing at home so I left instead of fishing the flood which I shouldn't of. I know there can be good fishing there when the tide starts to shift the other way at full pelt but hey...

Another weekend of sun on the back and 4 fish in 2 hours. Can't complain really but WHERE'S THE BLOODY BASS?????

Attachments

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting info for those tat way inclined...

I just plugged the rockie into my fish recording program (FishInSight, see another thread or 3) and it was very interesting to me that I caught that fish at precisely (ill ignore 4 minutes difference...) the peak of solunar activity for the day. Moon and sun were both directly overhead in perfect alignment at 12:49 and according to my camera I caught the fish at 12:46 which works out at a solunar index of 12.94, the peak for the day was at 12:50 at an index value of 13. These timings were an hour before the spring low (not a very big spring at all) and at the end of the peak movement of water on that mark.

That and the 3 pollack are the first fish I hae had on the very high end of the solunar scale. I normally rate a negative value much better. The data becomes more interesting...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Andy, all cracking fish. Who cares if they aren't bass??

·
Registered
324 Posts
good looking fish Andy, hopefully the bass are on the way in better numbers.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report again Andy, well done, your Bass will come soon :-D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice one mate , always good to get a good wrasse!

There are appaz bass about , ask Jamo ;-)

Ive had one and lost a few more in the past week , hoping to hook into some more soon - but if I catch a few more wrasse inbeetween ill be happy too!

well done

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Spectacular Wrasse Andy !!

As for the solunar stuff . . . . i am become ever increasingly more intruiged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts