The Lure Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just sat at home playing with all sorts of 'stinger' hook ideas.

Are there any rules that should be adhered to with regards to strength when tying a stinger hook? For examples (and this is my main question really), is it believed to be a bad thing to tie or loop - see other question) the stinger line tag end to the same slip to whcih you've attached your jighead/hook?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, will do. Just don't wanna create any weak spots, you know?! Will check out some Zander stuff.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I generally tie to the bend, the eye of the hook or around the shank between the eye and the jig weight.
Some jigs come with multi tie points and are useful.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one.

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is use a loop to attach to whatever fixing point is used. This way i can tie various and exact length stingers up at home and then swap between the most suitable ones for a given situation - Hence me asking about strong loops knots. Obviously when tying direct there is no guarantee of precise stinger length, but I'd like to find a way around that. A loop can easily be fixed to the jighead eye on finer lines, but for HRF lines everything gets too bulky - which is why i'd prefer to use the clip if possible. Tying a few up at home will also save and aid stress levels in times of great tackle loss (we've all been there).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Ben one thing I did notice about using a form of stinger is that is you get a larger fish biting it increases the risk of deep hooking. Just something to bear in mind I guess.

I was not prepared for this the first time it happened and therefore took the wrong action. It is worth figuring out what you do it you do deep hook the stinger hook.

On that note if you have any suggestions then I would be really glad to hear them

Thanks

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Should be ok carrying a freshwater type disgorger Jeremy. Since stinger hooks are generally smaller, they should be easy enough to use. The hooks I'm messing around with are all single barbless jobs too so that should help as well.

This sort of thing should do it, but there are more complex versions available as well for proper deep hooking and bigger hooks: http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/tackleshopcouk/ctl10390/cp44658/si3480413/cl1/

...that will work at least with the 'flying stinger' that keith talks about here: http://www.jerseybassguides.com/bas...7/another-great-week-ends-with-a-hrf-big-bang or anywhere where the stinger line is outside of the bait (instead of threaded through).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts