The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Would love to have opinions as to what you have found the most effective way of rigging stinger hooks on an SP for zander.
Obviously each rigging method has its pros and cons and I have been experimenting with various setups (mainly flying, through body and off the eye to the top of the bait behind the main hook)
Usually I would carry on experimenting until i find something that works for me but I only get maybe one or two goes a year to have a go for them (mainly in spain) so would love to draw on your experiences..
Mainly I am fishing to zander that are shoaling small roach in the river (ebro) at night at they love to follow and tail nip but positive attacks are a rarity.
If anyone has any recommendations for SPs that may be of use this would also be great!
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hello.
Would love to have opinions as to what you have found the most effective way of rigging stinger hooks on an SP for zander.
Obviously each rigging method has its pros and cons and I have been experimenting with various setups (mainly flying, through body and off the eye to the top of the bait behind the main hook)
Usually I would carry on experimenting until i find something that works for me but I only get maybe one or two goes a year to have a go for them (mainly in spain) so would love to draw on your experiences..
Mainly I am fishing to zander that are shoaling small roach in the river (ebro) at night at they love to follow and tail nip but positive attacks are a rarity.
If anyone has any recommendations for SPs that may be of use this would also be great!
Thanks in advance
I make my own stingers using Owner hooks mainly in size 6 or 8 and Fox Carboflex 20Ib wire. This allows me to make the stingers in different lengths suitable for various shad lengths I use.

I attach the stinger around the jig head eye and hook at the top of the shad body around ¾ lengths from the head. This allows for good movement in the tail but allow for a hook-up when the zander is just nibbling at the lures, which is very often the c.ase during daytime fishing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Isidore I just added this link in the Pike section. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqtyJ6r3ao&feature=related
It shows how to set up a 6inch Hawg Shad with a stinger.

I have been trying to convince a few importers to bring these lures into the UK. Simply put, they are cheap and they are bloody good. Sure, I have some SP's sitting in my bag right now that were the best part of £12 for 5, but I wouldnt want to use them all the time. Hopefully, my efforts will be paying dividends soon as a supplier has made contact with the firm and is now in receipt of samples. All has to start somehwere :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys.
Those shads look very nice indeed.
Would be great to have a few more reasonably priced softies around.
Will be doing more searching through the winter for closer to home softs that may be of use..
Have found a few so far that are keeping up with their japanese counterparts but a fair bit of rubbish also.
Cheers

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the best stinger hook I eve used was twinex treble from gamakatsu, easy to fix on the tail and very light hook
Funnily enough that's exactly what i've been using, great hook, sit a lot better on the back than a standard treble.
Great for small livebaits for perching too.
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts