The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody advise?
I think I want to put a Stinger on the top of the SP which I shall be using for Pike. (I have caught a few fishing with just a weedless hook, but think that my catch rate will improve with a Stinger.

Can this be done?

Secondly, I don't want to use a (leaded) jig head....so is there this style of hook on the market without the lead head. Principally I will be fishing canals, and just want the weight of the SP and no more.

If I was using the standard jig head I know how I would attach the Stinger to the hook eye,I would run the stinger trace along the back of the SP, and loop/crimp through the eye.

But I can't quite square the circle as it were. Any help would be appreciated !!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Vidar is probably your man for this question. The only problem I can see with a weightless set up is that the weight of the stinger might roll the lure over. You might be able to insert a nail weight or two in the belly to act as a keel weight though?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Vidar is probably your man for this question. The only problem I can see with a weightless set up is that the weight of the stinger might roll the lure over. You might be able to insert a nail weight or two in the belly to act as a keel weight though?
Or run the stinger wire through the lure so the stinger comes out on the bottom?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tim & Paul. I understand both statements, and see how I get on. But is there a weightless jig hook on the market ?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Just use a Gamaktsu or similar EWG hook in the appropriate sixe and then hook the stingers end loop plus the eye of EWG hooks into the leader clip.

This is among my favourite way of doing it when fishing many of the shallow parts of the Norfolk boards with weightless soft plastics.

Alternatively I skip the jig hook all together and fix one or two stinger hooks to the soft plastic again via the leader clip and fix the lure via a hitchhiker.

Reactions: Retired

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just use a Gamaktsu or similar EWG hook in the appropriate sixe and then hook the stingers end loop plus the eye of EWG hooks into the leader clip.

This is among my favourite way of doing it when fishing many of the shallow parts of the Norfolk boards with weightless soft plastics.

Thanks Vidar. I had not thought of that; I will give it a go!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase some ready made stingers :?:
Simon, I have spent a LOT of time over the last few weeks watching youtube and following some Zander fishermen about. Anyway, thru watching them on their jaunts, I found this guy. He's one of them anyway, I believe. I looked on his site just now and he supplies stingers - http://www.bensfishingtackle.com/we...id=slnrvfja7tpj0m2g3rniloigf5&keyword=stinger - Whats more, I would imagine that as they are mainly used for Zander, then they will be a little "gentler" than the old fashioned Pike ones I have seen. This shows Steve Mets setting up a small 6inch Hawg Shad with a stinger too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqtyJ6r3ao&feature=related

Hope some of that is of some use, anyway :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Simon, I have spent a LOT of time over the last few weeks watching youtube and following some Zander fishermen about. Anyway, thru watching them on their jaunts, I found this guy. He's one of them anyway, I believe. I looked on his site just now and he supplies stingers - http://www.bensfishingtackle.com/we...id=slnrvfja7tpj0m2g3rniloigf5&keyword=stinger - Whats more, I would imagine that as they are mainly used for Zander, then they will be a little "gentler" than the old fashioned Pike ones I have seen. This shows Steve Mets setting up a small 6inch Hawg Shad with a stinger too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqtyJ6r3ao&feature=related

Hope some of that is of some use, anyway :)
Andy/Simon.
I contacted Ben's a couple of weeks ago, and unfortunately they do not supply to the UK.
Chris.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Intersting, Chris. Kinda makes me wonder why they would bother putting a UK flag there for translation of their site info. Not that I doubt your word. More their wanting to earn a few euros!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts