The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the thing i h ave been using stradic 2500's for years in saltwater and no problems at all in fact the best reels i have veer used.
Is there any reason i couldnt use my 4000 stradics with lure rods? i know they market fresh and salt. Though i always prefere the fighting drag on my reels and the FL's dont have this.
Curious if anyone else uses the freshwater stradics for luring?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Perhaps I don't understand your question, but as far as I'm aware the Stradic's are all the same (I mean regardless of size/model they have are manufactured in the same way and with the same materials). Some of the Shimano front drag reels have a waterproof front drag (I'm not sure about the U.K. Stradic) so they may be even more waterproof than your rear drag model.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi mate

no that was pretty much it as there are all differing versions i have used the 2500 gtmb with rear drag for 3 years in total and no issues always used them in saltwater with mullet fishing.
Just wondering if anyone had any issues with them as people seem to favour the rareniums here.
That said i like the weight ration of the stradics and the drag is fantastic on them and i love the fighting drag in some marks that i fish down here.
Think i will pair the teklon and cormoron with straidcs and save a little money in the process.

thanks again

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Yes, the Rareniums are lighter and were only released this year, so they seem to be the reel of the moment. I have the U.S. Stradic 4000 FI it is still relatively light, has proven itself in the salt (the reel has been available on the U.S. market for approx. 5 years), has a waterproof drag and balances well on my rod. If that's something that you consider, lighter is not always better! I hope the Rareniums will prove resilient, only time will tell. If I ever do get a lighter rod specifically for fishing soft plastics I may try the Rarenium 2500. But I'm extremely pleased with my Stradic and if I lost mine tomorrow I would definitely buy another. I'm sure your 4000 will be fine. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi Mike i have a stradic 4000 gtm rb that i used before i got my rarenium lovely smooth reel but it is quite heavy and i found the retrieve rate too fast but if you like them theres no reason not to use it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You won't have any problem with them initially Mike. Where this lure fishing mullarky varies to mullet fishing though is that you'll find yourself really having to GET IN THERE to find the fish - and that will often be in the face of wind and waves. Sea air itself will make very little difference to which reel you're using, but one of the down sides of a rear drag when you're in the face of it is basically just that there are more bits exposed that can go wrong. Problems may take months to develop, but eventually most reels will die and rear drags will be the first to go.

Valid point about the gear ratio too. Stradics are about as quick as they come and when you get in to the soft baits especially, sower is better. Not saying the stradics are wrong, but if ye seek perfection then eventually you'll notice the difference.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seems along the lines of fears with the rear drag maybe i should opt for rareniums after this was the leaning i have been going towards.
Looks like i have finaly made a desicion rarenium 4000 with an afaw 8ft and a lrf kit with a rarenium 2500.
Should see me long enough till i get bored and change them again.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I ran a pair of front drag USA spec Stradics (white) and they are totally brilliant saltwater reels,the front drag 5000 series I think is a totally 'different' reel to the rear drag models............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts