The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the stringest loop knot is? Its not Rapala style I'm after where its used direct to a hook/lure, but more on about tying an actual loop in the end of a line.

Figure of eight? A double overhand loop? Anything more advanced? A Rapala knot would do the job, but is more fiddly than is necessary in my case I suspect. They're also easier to tie when you're tying them to something - I know, I've just been doing it.

Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Ben you could look at the bimini as mentioned earlier or look at the perfection loop which is popular in fly fishing circles, it is used on bonefish leaders and the loop lies central to the line. I learnt to tie through typing in perfection loop on the internet

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Bimini - strong and amazing I'm sure, but that must create one massive knot?

Perfection could be the way to go I think since it seems easier to use in a normal fishing situation? Just tied one in seconds so it could be what I'm after.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
The strongest knot I know of for putting a loop in a line is a knot called a Spider Hitch. The knot is used by Namibians & South Africans. The following link will show you how to tie it: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/548931/how_to_tie_a_spiders_hitch/ You will however need to adapt it to shorten the loop. Hope this helps.

As you will see this knot is quicker to tie & in my opinion stronger than the bimini twist suggested above.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sean! That's another really good one. Really simple to tie. Just tied one and it looks pretty good. Fairly big not but not excessive. Nice and neat.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The strongest knot I know of for putting a loop in a line is a knot called a Spider Hitch. The knot is used by Namibians & South Africans. The following link will show you how to tie it: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/548931/how_to_tie_a_spiders_hitch/ You will however need to adapt it to shorten the loop. Hope this helps.

As you will see this knot is quicker to tie & in my opinion stronger than the bimini twist suggested above.
Hi Sean
My understanding is that the Spider Hitch is only about 80% full line strength (in mono - about 40% in braid) whereas the bimini or the plait are 100% if tied correctly

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
I will put it like this: The spider hitch is very quick to tie. I have never seen one snap in either mono or braid, & I have used them in Namibia as leader knots for both braid & mono. If a 170kg Bronze Whaler shark cannot break the knot then Im pretty sure a Bass will not do it either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts