The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a venue on the edge of an estuary where bass and mullet congregate on the ebb, it's very shallow sand for miles then at low there's a large snaggy mussel bed where I've seen bass lying in the holes as the tide retreats. This mussel bed only has 1-2ft of water in my casting range and the holes the bass lie in are 4 or 5 feet, and when I wade out I spook the bass (it's a hell of a long walk in waders too!)

The water is too shallow for most plugs, already broken my Zonk Getaride but it's OK with a Feed Shallow so I was wondering what other options I have. I've plenty of surface plugs but was hoping you gents would have ideas on what other extremely shallow swimming lures could work? There are thousands of mullet swimming around in a deeper pool nearby, and on bait you get plagued with mini whiting so I think they're the main food source rather than sandeels etc

I get the feeling rounded, subtle lures like the Z-Claw will be a killer here this year!

I'll post a few pics of the venue later

Any help, advice or ideas would be appreciated!

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Rob, in my opinion you've answered your oqwn question. The Feed Shallow was the most effective lure for me and nothing runs shallower in my box. On the top, the Z-Claw, Gunfish, MaG Popper are all great. Have you looked at the Daiwa TD Pencil (on Monster Tackle site)? It's a surface lure, but does break the surface film and is quite versatile like the Z-Claw, but narrower profile. Maybe a surface lure with a teaser would kill on this mark??

Reactions: Rob F

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Just some thoughts from me . . . . . . .

With a dip of the rod tip, and a quick initial crank, the Z-Claw will run just sub-surface, so that could well offer you a versitile option. The other lure which comes to mind is the Maria Chase, although that may run a gnats-nadger too deep.

Following our recent exploits on the Pike, i've seen both George & Iestyn working s/p's weedless to great effect. They have been able to cast them very effectively also. So that may present you with a further option. You could work them just along the top of the beds.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the Maria Chase is too deep, tried keeping my rod tip high with the usual "shallow" lures to no avail. Actually, that reminds me of one of Keith's (I think) old posts about s-l-o-w-l-y bringing a J-13 across the surface by keeping the rod high so only the tail wiggles, leaving a V wake...

Got no SP's yet, my bank manager won't let me go down that route yet!!! Think with it being so shallow the line would possibly get sliced though on all the shells, you do need a longer leader than usual here.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Remove the front 2 trebles and retrieve with the rod tip up. You may loose a bite or three but it will tell you if the bass are there and in the mood. With only the rear treble left you shoud be able to ride just above the mussel beds without hooking up.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Have a look at the Daiwa Chugger Minnow and Saltiga Monnow from Monster tackle. I have caught on both in shallow water. Not a huge variety of colours but that is more for collection than practiciality in most cases. They won't break the bank if you lose one either. Both of them are 'go to' lures for me on shallow marks.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Just to add, the megabass popmax is a FW surface popper. However I've tried it in the sea and it casts fine and the hooks cope reasonably well but if you dip the rod tip under the surface it will snake under the surface with it's back just breaking through. You can't get any shallower than that. Again remove the front treble if needs be but don't stop you retrieve as it sits nose up and wind as soon as it hits the surface.

·
Registered
540 Posts
plenty of good suggestions already, Si was pretty spot on with sp`s as you could fish them on-top, in the surface or allow them to fish on the drop into the deeper holes with some twitches, slides etc that you would not be able to do with alot of hardbaits! balancing the sp will be the most important part.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Image0465..jpg Image0466..jpg Image0469..jpg Image0455..jpg

First pic is at dawn about 3hrs before low looking out towards a sewer pipe that completely uncovers, where the mullet hang out.
Second is the mark 2hrs before low, you can see some of the shallow holes where the bass lie ready to ambush the mullet.
Third is at dead low, surrounded by shallow pools and protruding snags
Fourth is the same mark looking the other way at dusk because it's pretty!

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why go sub surface?

I'd go surface, then onto the Softies - much cheaper to lose as well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I'll persist with the surface lures for now but it looks like I'll be getting the Injection sooner than I'd anticipated....

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just looking for something more subtle for those calm, clear days that won't cause too much of a disturbance. Perhaps I'm guilty of over-thinking things, but was just looking for a shallow running alternative to the Feed Shallow. The Duo Terrif and the IMA Komomo II are looking very promising indeed!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Can't say I have. Best I get on to my dealer I guess... I like a slightly smaller lure tbh and I can just use the one rod then as well with SP's and the smaller hard lures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts