The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone procured any of this yet? New 8 carrier braid from Sufix. it might be the line that gets me off Power Pro, comes in a nice neon green colour and is the right price, something like $40 for 300m..

Has a Gore Fibre in with the PE strands for some reason. Pretty sure thats just a marketing thing.

Cabelas and Tackle Warehouse has it I think.

Nice to have a US brand of 8 carrier braid. No one in the US will pay JDM price for braid.. hopefully its as good...

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Sounds nice ....... will have a look into it especially as its on a 300m spool ... great for the boat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks very interesting, if its anything like Sufix's other lines it will be very good.

However it still has the same diameters as the normal 4 strand braids.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same diameter but 8 carrier makes it smooth unlike power pro which is 4 carrier and rough. Also reckon that they'll understate the breaking strain cos americans are a bit gung ho when they fish and will probably sue if they feel the line has broken at under its stated breaking strain..

The JDM lines like Varivas and YGK are 8 carrier, hence my interest... 300m of varivas is something like $130..

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've been after this braid for some time but buying from overseas with taxes and p & p made it a non starter. It appears that the carp bait firm Dynamite Baits are to distribute Sufix products in the UK from April 1st next year. No price info though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it hits the UK no doubt someone will mark up their prices by 500%.

Rip-off Britain.

I'm doing a big order in January so I'll put a few spools in the box then. Ordering from overseas is OK if the order is big enough to cancel out the P&P. Customs charges are never an issue :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just received three spools of this stuff in the post from Cabelas. 50, 40 and 30lb. First impressions are that it is significantly smoother than Power Pro but slightly thicker for the given breaking strain. It's not in the same league as the Varivas/YGK type braids for smoothness and tightness of weave. It seems Sufix still have to do some work here.

Tests I have seen indicate that like Power Pro it breaks at more than it's stated strength. This is based on a straight break test though and would be dependant on which knot you used.

The colour is awesome, a really nice bright lime green. For me this is important for no other reason than it looks cool on your reel.

I'm spooling up two baitcast reels and an 8000 Twinpower to take to Uganda and can give more of a review when I get back.

It looks like it should be a great improvement on Power Pro for light lure fishing in the lower breaking strains (10/20lb) and if you're efficient at importing stuff cheaply from the states its great value at $35 for 300m.

I'm really keen on this stuff as I change my braid so much that I'm loathe to use JDM brands and I want to move past PP and Tufline as they just feel really dated now.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm doing a big order in January so I'll put a few spools in the box then. Ordering from overseas is OK if the order is big enough to cancel out the P&P. Customs charges are never an issue :)
Really? What's the secret to not paying import duty (3.8% for fishing tackle) and 20% VAT mate?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just get the retailer to put an insured value of less than $50 and you don't get hit. Down side is you can only claim the insured value if the shipment goes missing. Nothing ventured nothing gained....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Ah ok, I thought you knew of some other "nudge nudge wink wink say no more, say nore more" back door route.

Good luck with the new line, David. I hear good things about Sufix ;o)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I bought some 832 after getting some good advice from Dan at Monster Tackle.
It was only about £17 for 150m and I must say I love it.
Not 1 wind knot so far. It's very smooth and just feels right to me although I have not used the top line braids, just cheapos and Powerline.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've been using the 30lb neon green for a few weeks now. It's nice enough line. The 8 strand characteristics are there, so it's smooth through the rod rings and very very supple/limp. Whether the softness is a good thing is a bit debatable though I think. I think it's probably a hair thicker than Power Pro, though pretty negligible.

The colour washes out at a similar rate to the colour in power pro, and most other braids.

One possible selling point for the 832 is that it possibly sinks slightly better than power pro. I'm off to America tomorrow fishing for large and smallmouth bass, it will be interesting to see how the line does for jig fishing there.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Austin,
That braid has been getting some pretty dire comments from the Striper guys.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Interesting point there, Dave.
I'm no expert on braid. My experience thus far is confined to very cheap stuff from Ebay, Fireline and Power Pro.
The Ebay stuff was awfull, PowerPro and Fireline were much better but I still got far too many wind knots and braid wrapping around a ring during casting.
So, in June I bought some 832. Since then I've used it dozens of times with various HPs and I've only had one knot which I was able to unpick.
It doesn't seem to dig in on itself, it's very limp and I really like it.
One man's meat of course. I wonder what the dire comments were.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Owen,
Comments, and agreed on by other users on the US Striper forums are, the breaking strains are over stated (not that uncommon to be honest), poor knot strength, and very short life, wears out in weeks rather than months, and that any (even tiny) damage causes a huge drop in breaking strain. In short alot of very unhappy userd in the US.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts