The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I confess to getting a tad fed up lately as the more experienced anglers seem to be catching but I wasn’t. I may have experience in other forms of fishing but I am new to bass fishing with lures. However, i study the tides, weather etc. I think about how and where the bass can feed, think about why I didn’t catch and what I could have done differently - 'think like a fish' but still not a lot was happening.

Having fished with Dave Irving a couple of times and found him very free with his knowledge and advice I pinged him a PM with a few questions about tides etc and needless to say I had a wealth of information sent back the same day.

Armed with some new confidence I ventured forth this morning at silly time. I would like to say I looked at the weather, water vis, bait in the water etc before i chose my lure but truth is I just put on what Dave has been catching on! Not scientific but if its good enough for him....! Within half hour the little patchinko was nicely nobbled almost at my feet and given the fight I thought he was bigger but most welcome and as fat as butter.

A little later I had another take at long range on the same patchinko and another bass of similar size was coming in. Having had the camera handy for the first one, I got clever and snapped him in the water for an 'action' shot, just as I held him there for a few more seconds he slipped the hook! I seem to have made an unwlcome habit of this lately and yet i have years of experience flyfishing with barbless hooks!

He would have gone back as his friend did earlier so I couldn’t care less! Two fish after several blank trips makes it worthwhile.

I have to thank Dave for his encouragement and advice - he is a true gent! And a thank you to Simon Lewis as I now know how to load photos!
I guess the message is if you think you are doing it right - persevere and it doesn’t harm to get some help from those that have more experience!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Andrew great report and pictures. Pleased to see that your catching a few fish, well done keep it up.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice one Andrew,
Not down to me mate, You were the one asking all the right questions. Congrats on the bass.
Good to see the Patchinko100 working as well for you as it does for me.
Might need some advice myself as I banked this evening-which has nothing to do with the teenage girls swimming nearby in binkini's-Honest.
A few bass showing but no luck. Athough I did bump into another member on here, Someone with far greater local knowledge than myself.
That is what is good about this forum, members helping each other, with advice, with marks, tackle tips or just real good company while fishing.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Well done Andrew...nice looking fish and an effortless bit of catch and release..

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Andrew, great fishing and great pictures.

Dave, good to see you again, just a shame that the mark wasn't playing ball.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yes Great to catch up with you, There were/are some fish there-just playing hard to get.
Might give it another go tonight. Might try the other mark later in the week, need to hit it at the right time.
Lets just hope for less swimmers!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice! Looks like you find some clear water there!

The Patchinko is my go-to topwater plug as well, and it's a great pleasure seeing fish take it when you're working it well. Sometimes all it needs is to fall in the right spot though, and the Patchinko outcasts everything in my collection!

Best of luck, hope you have a lot more success on plugs this summer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts