The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was woken at some ungodly hour (7.30) by my son today so i went fishing for an hour or so before family duties kicked in.

decided on a wrasse trip to try and up my size for the comp so off to some boulders. Chose a mark I have not fished for a long time and never for wrasse before, not sure why, I guess I always saw it as too rough for bait. have had bass to 5-3 there on shallow plugs so thought it would be worth a go with the softies.

Started off by wetting a long on the way to the chosen rock and first cast, fish on...

1212Rockie.JPG

Had a few more casts and got frustrated at tieing who knows how many new leaders after losing half a ton of lead.

Moved on to the chosen rock and I could stand in front of it rather than on it which made life easier, a couple of big exposed rocks in front of me as it was still lowish but plenty of water, i've been in the boulder field at low and they are a good 8-12ft tall in places so if they are covered then there's plenty of water!!

After a few casts I felt a pluck, then another, struck and it went slack, bloney struck my lure off on a rock I thought to myself (done that before!!) but then as I was winding in I made contact again and there was a fish on!! It was coming in fast so I had to wind to keep up, it then kited off to the left feeling pretty good and then the tell tell thrashing on the surface. Billy bass!!

1212Bass.JPG

48cm and 2lb 12oz. Went well on the homemade green with purple swirls lure.

Had a few more casts after returning it but only a few small rockie type bumps, no hookups so I went round the corner. Shallow but fishable, lost a jig, then another, give up I thought,

then I looked up out to sea and saw soemthing odd. What is that he thinks to self, I can see about a mile out several large (3ft+) silver things coming out of the water like salmon jumping, smashing about looking like they were chasing mackerel. Interesting. It lasted about 5 minutes. Big Bass or a very lost shoal of tunny?????? Who knows.

Went back tot he 2nd mark which showed the bass which was getting harder to fish, kind of inbetween tide state for it, too high and too low at the same time but I let nothign deter me nowadays, fish can be anywhere.

Cast the green demon out again and this time had a good take with some deep powerful headshaking, rockie i think, then it all went solid, in a snag... kept it tight and nothing, 4ft of slack and it screams off screeching line off the reel, reel it up and back to snagged. i can see it now that he must have gone through an underwater gap between the boulders. Worst nightmare. gave it slack another 3 times and each time we ended up back and stuck in the rock "hole" or whatever it was. Finally on the fourth go he must have gone the other direction and it was fight on, by which time he must have run out of gas as it came quite easy.

1212Rockie2.JPG

47cm and 3lb 9oz on the digi scales (in a zero'd out mesh bag).

Not the best pic of a really pretty fish but he was very tired and no effort or fight left in him so it was one pic and back in the water.

He went off slow but fine.

Few more casts before I had to go home.

good result as the length of fish has increased!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ha ha class sounds like a good morning
I may have to pop across for a day or two

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done, Andy. Nice early morning sesh. I must admit, I think my fishing season is over now with commitments for all my remaining spare time!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice going Andy. Thinking you'll be getting the 'Mr Consistancy' award this year!

No ideas what could of been jumping like that?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Well done Andy more great fishing.
The pic of the Bass is a stunner, lovely and clear.
Cheers Nath

1 - 20 of 20 Posts