The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered from those who fish through night and day what's the most prolific time to catch bass assuming all tides / conditions are equal.

I 've never fished for more than an hour after sunset but believe my catch rate during sunset through the next hour is x 10 that of fishing at lunch time.

So is fishing in pitch dark (no moon) even more productive than at dusk ? and does the time that it's been dark make a difference , i.e. is 04.00 am better than 23.00 hrs ?

I've tried searching for this info but can't find any , so any comments will be much appreciated !

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
My experience differs depending on species but as you've specifed bass, I'll state my experiences for bass.

Most marks I fish produce best from at least 1/2hr after dark i.e not as it's getting to be night time, but when it's really night time. I don't say light or dark, cos that's all relative depending on the ambient light from street lights, moon, etc. Several places I fish wont produce any fish at all in the daytime, and will produce plenty at night. How long do I fish into the night? Depends on the tides, the fish seems to keep feeding as long as there's flow.

Other places I fish (well one place to be precise) rarely produces fish except about 1 hour after dawn (subject to tide times). Go figure.

Overall I reckon night time beats daytime about 5:1 (in the locations I fish)

I think the only way to find out is to try all locations at all times of the day and night, and learn what works and what doesn't for each location

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was wondering about the early morning/late eve angle to catching bass the other day while out fishing and although it's a proven fact i suppose that these times are best, in my experience this year, i've caught more bass and also larger ones between 11am and 4pm over the last few months. It just so happened that conditions were right, i.e. a big high tide after a blow in the sunshine at 11am at one mark or low tide in settled weather at 3pm at another, and the fish were there and were feeding. I've dragged myself out of my tent at 4am many times recently only to be rewarded with a couple of Pollack but a stunning close encounter with a school of dolphins. So i actually don't know what to think!!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've had more in darkness (relative to moon, street lights etc) than I have on dusk or dawn, in fact more in daylight than dusk or dawn as well. Saying that, my best ones came about 9.45 / 10pm which I guess is the end of dusk at the time of year I was fishing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts