The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
appart from the casting ratings is there much a difference between these two rods when fishing with them,it would be softies all the way on either rod for most of the time, i had a few casts last year with an injection belong to Padge a real thing of beauty to hold and i seen er bring in angry pollock to 9lb off the boat another day so its got plenty of grunt aswell.. has anyone had a chance to compare both these rods at all yet.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I've not used a SM210 but I have tried a SM240.

I think they are very different rods to the Injection. Mainly I find the top section of all SMs is senstiive but the bottom section is a different power altogether, giving it almost an action of two halves (maybe that's why its a "Mix").

The Injection has a long tip and a smooth action. Plus a much lower weight range I expect.

Horses for courses.

I was just saying to someone yesterday that having seen a SM at full stretch on a decent wrasse on a vertical SP from the boat, the Injection would not cope wwith it. But if it can take a 9lb pollack then I must be wrong. That must have been an awesome fight.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
9lb!!!! That must hve been a mental fight.

I thin Paul has summed it up well, the SM has an imence amount of bottom end pwer, great for hoiking big heavy fish up or in, and still keeping alotof sensetivity in the top third of the rod. I am yet to see an Ijection used in anger so I cant really comment, they just feel so sensetive.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've given my Injection some serious stick. At first I was a bit hesitant to give it some welly when snagged, but I have far more confidence in the rod now, I've had the drag right up yanking lures out of snags with it. Gaz had a 6lb Wrasse on his today, we've had a few 4lb'ers on it too. It should cope with almost anything you'll catch on lures in our water IMO. Unequal section rods seem to be the way forward.

I had a SM210 for about 2 months (I think?) I couldn't get on with it, the action didn't seem to be much use for anything!?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
sorry folks i stand corrected after looking back over padges blog the 9lb fish was actually taken on a supermix 240,although he had been using the injection earlirer in the day and indeed take some decent pollock on that too, happy days roll back on very soon thanks be to god....

thanks for all the replys there lads all info is taken on board

and the 9lb fish that padge had that day put up a serious fight !!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
my view on this is that if you want a dedicated SP rod to tackle fish like we all would like..
The Injection seems perfect until we get below 5g in deeper water. By 5g I mean head weight,
not overall jig/rigged weight.

I've only had fish to 4lb so far on the Injection but it has tons in reserve.

If i can get small tuna species out on a 8wt fly rod I can land double figure Bass
on the Injection.

I think it's just peoples perception of power based upon the beachcaster syndrome.

·
Registered
326 Posts
my view on this is that if you want a dedicated SP rod to tackle fish like we all would like..
The Injection seems perfect until we get below 5g in deeper water. By 5g I mean head weight,
not overall jig/rigged weight.

I've only had fish to 4lb so far on the Injection but it has tons in reserve.

If i can get small tuna species out on a 8wt fly rod I can land double figure Bass
on the Injection.

I think it's just peoples perception of power based upon the beachcaster syndrome.

Exactly!

One of us is going to win the Wrasse trophy on an SP this year. That will really annoy the bait fishermen who use conger rods for them! Last year I was told I'd never land a 5lber on the 7ft Daiwa I was using. Now I'm being told landing a 7lb'er would be impossible. Gaz has had a 6lb'er on the injection and its only January.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Exactly!

One of us is going to win the Wrasse trophy on an SP this year. That will really annoy the bait fishermen who use conger rods for them! Last year I was told I'd never land a 5lber on the 7ft Daiwa I was using. Now I'm being told landing a 7lb'er would be impossible. Gaz has had a 6lb'er on the injection and its only January.
You guys are weighing these fish into the club right ?

I told Chris to weigh his good un too.

They should get in the fish of the month list in my opinion. Especially coming on SP's.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
6lb wrasse on an Injection in January from the shore on a soft plastic. That is one of the most amazing statements I have heard in modern years when it comes to UK lure fishing. That really is amazing. Please tell me you have some really good photos.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We haven't weighed any of them in yet, as we knew we'd get bigger ones. I was talking to Gaz earlier and said we should both weigh in our biggest lure caught Wrasse. My biggest is only 4.8 so far, Gaz beat that twice today. We'll weigh them in for the next newsletter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
6lb wrasse on an Injection in January from the shore on a soft plastic. That is one of the most amazing statements I have heard in modern years when it comes to UK lure fishing. That really is amazing. Please tell me you have some really good photos.

We do, see the Wrasse thread. I wasn't there when Gaz had the 6 and he doesn't know how to use auto timer on his Lumix yet so the pics are against rocks. I had to remove the background...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Barry,

Had a 3lb 12oz on an Injection last week and one of the things that struck me was that how well the rod coped.

Keith,

No, I did not weigh mine in as I am waiting for a bigger one. Should have though as it would make our SP work look enticing.

I used to bait fish for Wrasse with a 1-3oz bass rod and people told me i was crazy, but I landed fish up to 5lb, but must admit when I fish in Wrasse comps I use a 100--300gram Catfish rod.

I think that a lot of fisherman (me included) suffer from learnt behaviour from our forefathers!

I think that when fishing for Wrasse with light rods like the Injection we are going to have to use much lighter drag than when we are using bait rods, If the fish runs and goes to ground we may just have to play a waiting game.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I did not weigh mine in as I am waiting for a bigger one. Should have though as it would make our SP work look enticing.
I don't think the general local angling population are aware of the possibilities we are starting to unlock.
Plastic pig fishing, Ultralite/finesse work for Pollack/Pouting etc..

All happening in the traditional 'worse part' of the year.
That perception could change very quickly.
Lure fishing rules guys.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks lads sounds exactly what i am after, cheers for the replys as you have said will land fish with some to spare a specific sp rod which by the end of this year i think we be about 75 % of my fishing so the injection seems to fit the bill how much do they cost at the minute....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
thanks lads sounds exactly what i am after, cheers for the replys as you have said will land fish with some to spare a specific sp rod which by the end of this year i think we be about 75 % of my fishing so the injection seems to fit the bill how much do they cost at the minute....
Best talk to ****. You might be lucky but often, these things are on a waiting list.
Exchange rate euro/sterling affects price sometimes but the guys do their best to absorb it on this kind of thing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Barry,

As of yesterday afternoon Mr Fish only had two injections left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts