Surf lure advice | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Surf lure advice

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Mullet (foul hooked)

Hi guy's, My first of many posts, because I have so much to learn. I am moving to North Cornwall, Perrancombe, very soon and my research tells me the local rock fishing is limited and what is available has an element of danger, particularly to people who lack local knowledge. I therefore intend in concentrating on the local shallow beaches in the first instance.

Can anyone please recommend any SP's, HP's or metals they would try and I am thinking various species.... bass, pollock, flatties and the like.

Thanks in advance.
    Ken

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mackerel

Hi Ken welcome aboard. The main lures i look for on shallow sandy beaches/surf beaches are Fiiish black minnows 120 in 12g or Fiish black minnows 90 in 5g head. If you are fishing at night i would highly reccomend Wave worm bamboo sticks in white as for Hard plastics Ima komomo sf-125 and a feed shallow 128 and thats you covered :) lunker city sluggos can be great too fished weightless and weedless or on a light jig head best of luck Jay

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mullet (foul hooked)

Thanks for the welcome Jay... A lot of good information there. I think I have 75% of what you are suggesting. Would you consider any pencils/sticks or metals. I am thinking metals for various species?

4. Bass

Ken there's a huge libraries worth of information on here, just use the search box on the top rhs and see what the local lads use. Probably best to see what casting weight range your rod is then buy just a few bits to get you going until you decide what style and technique suits, then splash the cash!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Snapper

Welcome Ken. Good advice there about searching the forum if you have the time. It's easy to go crazy buying loads of lures starting out. Try to resist! I certainly wouldn't buy loads of lures that do the same thing. For example don't buy loads of shallow divers just decide on one or two from your searches. As you get more experience you will decide yourself what really works on your marks and will be less likely to buy lures that you will rarely if ever use. Finally a cheap lure I would highly suggest you get a few of is the Savage Gear Sandeel in the 23g size. Real Pearl (white) is a great colour. There are a few ways to fish it but simply casting it out and reeling it in with a fairly slow retrieve works great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mackerel

As the lads said get a few basics and find your style before you splash the cash thats the best information available try avoid the lure addictiom i resisted it and it eventually hit now ive too much lol. As for metals the Hansen stripper in white is as good as metals come the catch pretty much everything bass sea trout pollack mackerel and Garfish they are cheap too which is a bonus :) with time you will find what works here and doesnt work there and you will make a judgement on what to buy just keep it simple if its a sandy beach go for a sandeel pattern and you wont go far wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mullet (foul hooked)

Thank you David, I have always researched a new hobby in depth. I must have spent 4 hours searching this site today..... Best resource I have come across yet!
    Now I am retired I have and make the time to read, watch videos and ask questions of people more experienced. I am currently using a Teklon concept spin 902l (7-28g). I have had limited use with this rod but love it to bits. I think working clean beaches in my early days will help build my confidence and hopefully will find a few safe rock marks to try as I improve.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mullet (foul hooked)

9. Mullet (foul hooked)

Thanks James, I will take a look at Hansen metals.... Could you recommend any weight range for bass and could the same be said for flatties as I want to target them as well?

10. Mackerel

I use the 15 gram strippers il have a look i might have some spare i can post to you to get you started :) im no expert with flatties on lures ive had a few attack sluggos but its very rare. Ive had the, on my LRF gear but thats a different kettle of fish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mullet (foul hooked)

I have bought a few waste of money lures, half a dozen classics and some SP's. I will probably buy a Savage Gear Sandeel as you suggest because I think it will suit the area as you suggest. When I first started setting up my equipment (12 months ago) it was intended I would be living on the South Cornish coast (Portwrinkle). That purchase fell through and now I am buying a property on the North Cornish coast. My research has clearly shown, particularly where I am relocating, has limited rock marks that can be considered safe. So I intend on focusing on local beaches i.e. Perran, Holywell Bay, Crantock beach and Trevaunance Cove.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mullet (foul hooked)

I think I struck gold when I found this site....
    I am so impressed with the way new members are made so welcome on this forum. That is a very kind gesture James..... Thank you kind sir!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mackerel

This forums great its lost alot of members lately but its kind nature is still here send me a Pm with your adress and il post you a few metals and Soft plastics just so you can try them before you buy. Its no problem at all :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mullet (foul hooked)

Thanks James....
    I just have to work out how to pm people. Haha!

15. Bass

That's a decent rod to start with for a year or two. Try mid day for a big girl, and if you can manage it darkness once you've built up your confidence and skills. You're in grockle county so will be busy on the beaches peak time so best to try early and late to avoid the surfers and holiday makers. If I was to recommend any lure it would have to be a Patchinko 100 in 500g, you can spend a lot of time playing with that lure and honing your technique.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mackerel

Just click my name and click start conversation and its simple from there on :)

17. Mullet (foul hooked)

Thanks David, I have a Patch. I hear what you're saying about the holiday makers. My thoughts was during the holiday season early or late fishing. My work had always meant early starts, so used to them.:zzzzz:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mullet (foul hooked)

Thanks James....

19. Pike

Hi Ken, welcome to the forum. You've already got some great info here but just to reiterate the need to have a savage gear sandeel (23 gr) in the kit bag! A go to surf lure for me - lemon back or white being the killer colours where I fish - but they all work. Also, I always carry a metal lure of some sort when fishing the surf. I'm not overly precious about a design (or color for that matter) but I'd have confidence in anything slim and around 20-28 g to get the distance.

As for the night, as James says, try a slug go or senko type sp on a weedless hook but do make sure to stick a rattle in it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mullet (foul hooked)

Hi Ken, I will definitely be investing in a few 23g savage gear sandeels in various colours and some slug go's. I have a new 28g Dexter wedge and plan to get a variety once I have a little more understanding.

What a nice, helpful bunch of guy's you lot are! :vdrunk:
    :mexwave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1