The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a surface lure that does not rattle and is between 80mm-110mm long which I want the wake of the lure and slight twitches to attract fish to it on flat calm days.

If anyone knows of any makes and models of such a lure please let me know.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom,

I have Z claws and the ball bearing in them which they use as the internal weight actually rattles,I am after a lure does not make any noise what so ever.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi Tom,

I have Z claws and the ball bearing in them which they use as the internal weight actually rattles,I am after a lure does not make any noise what so ever.
They dont all have rattles ;)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hmmm harder than it first appears,
I think the baby Patchinko has a rattle in it (yeap just checked), and most surface lures that don't have a rattle still have the clonk clonk of the weight moving during the retrieve. Including the mighty Z Claw.
The only surface lure I know is silent is the Xorus Bass Arrow, Good lure, but is really only suited to absolutely flat calm conditions.
I would get a Spook (not a super spook) and drill a tiny hole next to the weight. Hang it up from the eye, and squirt a bit of super glue into the hole to fix the weight. Another tiny bit of glue to seal the hole
and your away. Plus at about £7-8 each, it is a cheap experiment.
Just a thought, but anyone know if the Rapala Surface Walker is silent???

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Dave.

I might sacrifice a Z Claw and drill two small holes and inject some epoxy in it where the two ball bearings are situated,regarding the Rapala surface lures the ones I have do rattle.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Gary,
I would use superglue, as the expoy can push the weight off center as you squeeze it in, the the lure won't run straight (I found out the hard way),
But by hanging it up and using supergue, the weight should be balanced and the lure will work properly (just with out the clonk).
Good luck with the mod if you try it. Some days they like the rattle, other days silent is deadly. After all how much "noise" would a real baitfish make!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It,s that "clonk" I want to stop,just as well you told me about the epoxy problem as I was just about to inject some into the lure lol.

The main reason I want to silence the lure is because some days when its dead calm the Bass have been taking surface lures with rattles but after a while they get a bit weary so a silent lure worked gently or wakeing might me just the answer.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Gary,
That is the same reason I "silenced" a couple of my lures. Adds a couple of bass to the session, and strangely silenced topwaters seem to work in the predawn light before rattling topwaters-Not sure why. But worth a try 15-20 minutes before you would normally exspect to start catching on top.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I only fish with z-claws now, I agree with the anoying clunk sound, pretty sure it scares off more fish than it attracts. I will silence one of them when I next go fishing and see if my catch rate improves.
I love the z-claw it's like 4 plugs in one, casts almost as good as a patchinko, a quick twitch turns it into a popper, rod tip down and it becomes a feed shallow, slow retrieve and it's a surface plug.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It,s that "clonk" I want to stop,just as well you told me about the epoxy problem as I was just about to inject some into the lure lol.

The main reason I want to silence the lure is because some days when its dead calm the Bass have been taking surface lures with rattles but after a while they get a bit weary so a silent lure worked gently or wakeing might me just the answer.

you may find that if you are fishing a particular swim that once you have caught 2-3 fish that the other bass in the vicinity become a bit edgy and less easy to get a take from purely as a resulf of the sight and sound of the hooked fish fighting rather than the lure rattling !!! Also shoals of bass whether large or small tend to pass through a mark , so after catching some in a relatively short period of time it can go quiet until the next time they come past again, obviously not all marks are like that, but many of our north wales marks are,think down in cornwall and over in Ireland there are places that on their day you just keep catching continuously over a long period of time as the fish just seem to sit there in the same area...............lucky sods..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts