The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,

Any one doing well with surface lures by night? i've had plenty of plug night caught bass, but only 1 ever take on a surface lure.. Any one getting good results regulary up top at night?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Super Spooks (and Jnr) or a Patchinkos worked slowly on very calm (flat seas) nights. Also Moonlight seems to improve your odds. Several casts in one area before moving, as it is often 3rd or 4th cast that gets hit. And be REALLY quiet as you move along the beach- bass seem to be able to hear a pin drop on the beaches around here at night.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Had a bit of success at night on the bonnie 128 last year, which is suprising as it is quite a noisy plug. I was using it very slowly though, moving it about 20% of normal. Every time there was no wind and a sizeable moon

I reckon this plug is underated.... not as good as the patchinko, z claw i admit but still worth a chuck in the right conditions. when its slightly choppy. really rolls from side to side kinda erratic looking

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I find surface plugs probably about the least efficient way to catch dark night Bass.

It does work done slowly but 2" under the surface can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've tried a few surface lures but personally have had best results on lures like the Maria Chase BW or Duo Terrif DC12. Both shallow runners which work when retreived very slowly.

·
Registered
519 Posts
all the bass i've had of the surface over the years have come to them being used as top water slide baits, just straight retreived causing a nice V wake.

kev

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Probably a silly question, but if you haven't tuned your lure to suspend, surely a lure such as the Maria chase would become a topwater lure when retrieved slowly?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Had a bit of success at night on the bonnie 128 last year,

I reckon this plug is underated....
Its a dam fine lure and I rarely use it but should. It has actually saved the day for me before when all other lures were just not doing it......mmm.....must dig the Bonnie out of the shed and put it back in the lure tray

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Its a dam fine lure and I rarely use it but should. It has actually saved the day for me before when all other lures were just not doing it......mmm.....must dig the Bonnie out of the shed and put it back in the lure tray
Love mine too. Its an Ayu (green back, hammered silver sides).

Bit of an odd one to cast though. Its one of those that when you get it right, it flies, when you don't, well it doesn't. Know what I mean ****?

We were looking at the Illex Chatterer and the Bowstick in Nantes. Nice lures too.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Love mine too. Its an Ayu (green back, hammered silver sides).

Bit of an odd one to cast though. Its one of those that when you get it right, it flies, when you don't, well it doesn't. Know what I mean ****?

We were looking at the Illex Chatterer and the Bowstick in Nantes. Nice lures too.
The chatterer is a beast of a topper but wtds very well & will wtd in a fair chop so its my topper when its rough out there ;)

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
When you say fishing lures at night, are we talking midnight or just after sunset??
I have never caught a bass at night (in the dark) on a lure or fly & I want to alter that this year.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
When you say fishing lures at night, are we talking midnight or just after sunset??
I have never caught a bass at night (in the dark) on a lure or fly & I want to alter that this year.
Yes m8, Dark ! as in going out in the pitch black and coming home in, the pitch black covered in glory from a decent night Bass plugging session.

Do Bass feed in the day ?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Obviously I'm doing something wrong with my night time lure fishing. I catch & feel more confident through the daylight hours with a lure, & have no confidence in the dark.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nigel,
Three to one, night against day around here for me. Years ago I wouldn't bother even fishing for bass during the day, especially if the water is clear. The J13 used to be lethal slowly worked. Can't wait to try the Jackson Artron lure, I like a lure with a bit more noise (hence the jointed) at night.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts