The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo hombres what are youre opinions do traces affect the action of surface lures in general cause impartin the action sinkin the lure nose end etc etc gettin different advice help no trace bass , but what about pike isnt it same ?:-(

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Personally I'd say no because mostly the surface lures I use for Pike are big enough to float with or without the trace.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'd agree with Andy, even a baby patchinko still floats with a wire trace and the wire does not appear to impede any action.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I reckon that the wire trace can help the action sometimes, because there will be more purchase put on the lure when the angler is twitching/flicking the rod. Whilst no expert, I have fished with a Sammy a lot in recent weeks for Pike, in calm water and the action on the lure has been first class. However, I also fished with a 7" Sluggo today, and the weight of the trace etc made the Slug nose dive and made it look naff, so to try to counteract that I wrapped lead wire round the bend of the hook. But I am still probably the only angler in the world not to have caught on a sluggo :(

·
Banned
334 Posts
I reckon that the wire trace can help the action sometimes, because there will be more purchase put on the lure when the angler is twitching/flicking the rod. Whilst no expert, I have fished with a Sammy a lot in recent weeks for Pike, in calm water and the action on the lure has been first class. However, I also fished with a 7" Sluggo today, and the weight of the trace etc made the Slug nose dive and made it look naff, so to try to counteract that I wrapped lead wire round the bend of the hook. But I am still probably the only angler in the world not to have caught on a sluggo :(
It took me ages to catch on a Slug-go Chris. I only succeeded when I took the jig head off and replaced it with just a hook and fished it with very short twitches.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I've used lures as small as 3.5g with a trace (7 strand, 16lb bs, swivel at both ends) and in my opinion this has had no significant impact on the action.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
always use a trace with surface lures for toothy critters, whether it does or doesnt change a topwater lures action............you dont want to leave a fish wearing some plastic for weeks if you get cut off thru not using one...................also i think pike are so mental that they would hit a lure even if it was being retrieved backwards or sideways, they are crazy,crazy beasts!!!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Chris i to have not caught on a slug-go or a x-layer :rollineyes:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
always use a trace with surface lures for toothy critters, whether it does or doesnt change a topwater lures action............you dont want to leave a fish wearing some plastic for weeks if you get cut off thru not using one...................also i think pike are so mental that they would hit a lure even if it was being retrieved backwards or sideways, they are crazy,crazy beasts!!!
Quite right Trevor, i always use a wire trace whenever lure fishing in any water that holds pike, even if they're not my target species.

·
Banned
32 Posts
You are not alone, I gave up altogether with SP's, never had so much as a twitch with any of them.

They work better in different places rob....

I think they work better ith a flat mud surface with not much weed around the mud bed so when you jig the soft plastics of the bottom you turf up the mud to attract the bass....

Ive seen it get done with a savage gear sandeel over at goatee beach on the corner right at the start with the tide up nice and high....

Your local give it a try as it is time for the soft plastics.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts