The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did see a nice bass caught today, though not by a fisherman. Not sure of the size but would estimate it was between 50 and 60 cm.

The beach where I live is a typical flat Sussex beach with some man-made rock groynes, though there is one spot where you would think there would be bass if they were anywhere. I was about to walk into town and for some reason had put my binoculars in my bag to have a look as I was walking (a 20 minute walk past Butlins). As I was watching I saw a seal pop up it's head (saw it yesterday at the same spot briefly while I was fishing), so I stood there for 45 minutes watching it stay in a very small area between two groynes. It was no more than 30-35 metres from the shore and didn't seem to be particularly active. However, there was suddenly a bow wave as it moved quickly then reappeared with a bass in it's mouth. It then kept diving and reappearing still with it as though looking for somewhere to lay up and eat it. Never did see what it did with it, but the seal was still around when I decided I really had to go and do what I originally set out to do.

Seals on this section of beach are fairly rare, though there are sometimes the odd one or two down the coast at Pagham.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Interesting in that I was outfished by a seal abut 2 weeks ago at a local mark. Athough I have dabbled in sea fishing over the years, this was the first 'Sussex' seal I have seen. I watched him for about an hour including seeing him rounding up some fish and charging at them right on the shoreline almost beaching himself.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I arrived at a beach at first light few weeks ago. After few chucks I looked around and saw a "dog" in the shallows. When it started to swim underwater I realised that another mark would be a better option.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have seen more seals this year Than I ever have before, but the one thing that goes through my mind is. If the seals are here, there are fish here as well. Jury is still out for me as to how much impact they have on what I catch. But I do wish they won't suddenly surface near me-as they did at a hampshire mark earlier this year-nearly had to wash the inside of my waders out!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts