The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I could do with just some very basic advice/tips on lures.

I am about to make my annual pilgrimage from Cornwall to the outlaws in Haywards Heath (West Sussex) for a week. I am starved of fishing due to recent wind/weed so I took my life in my hands last night and tentatively floated the idea into conversation and as easy as you like, permission granted to take a rod and a few lures. Unexpected and great last minute news.

I do not know the coast at all so, as you do, I'm straight onto Google Earth looking for some coastal features, reefs, rocky areas to head for.....apparently nothing. Miles and miles and miles of shingle and groins, it all looks the same and very unbassy from a cornish point of view :shock:!

Now i would not be so rude as to ask for any marks. Clearly there are features, currents etc about that just do not show on the aerial photos. I am very happy and love working things out for myself, but if I had to take 3 lures with me what would people recommend trying any new marks to maximise my chances if there are fish about in the area? Are we talking surface lures mainly?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hey Mark - welcome to our stamping grounds firstly!
Dave Irving and Mike Kennard are the guys to quiz :D

It can be difficult as there aren't alot of obvious features - barren shingle and shale is about as good as it gets however we have a few places tucked up our sleeve!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Living down here, it does feel somewhat daunting when you're trying to suss areas like that. Big respect to you guys that spend the time and do it!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Mark,
there are plenty of places to fish in Sussex. For me personally, some of my best results have come in the estuaries and open beaches. I don't tend the fish the reefs so much. If you head on down from Haywards Heath to Brighton you will find going west is as you say, is shingle with estuaries here and there. Go east from Brighton it is mainly chalky rocks and reef with the odd estuary and shingle beach in between.
The area is very busy weekend and sunny days so concentrate your efforts to dawn and dusk, with dawn being more productive for me. As for marks, look for the same things you would in Cornwall, features, rips, etc any likely ambush points.
A big difference down here is that the sea colours up very quickly when we get rough weather and can takes a while to clear. Weed is also a major problem in some places. The beaches are currently very weedy.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
read the beaches.

No such thing as barren sandy / shingle beaches. It is a mobile medium which will give away water movements.
Read the googans guide for pointers on how to achieve 'beach reading'. It isn't easy but it's worth doing imho.

Then, worry about lures because the best lures in the world can't catch what isn't there.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mark,
Spot on advice from both Keith and Mike K,
As Mike said right now things are somewhat coloured and weedy, but within the last few days at least three doubles have been taken (on bait admittedly), but it shows there are not only are there some bass around, but some very good ones.
Places to fish, I would be tempted to try Beachy Head, mainly the eastern side (closest to Eastbourne). Slightly out of the main along the coast flow, so tends to dodge at least some of the weed (not all though). Always a chance of bass, even when coloured. I prefer the dropping tide, but bass can be taken at any time of tide/day/night.
Look to fish the areas where the pools are draining out into deeper water.

Reactions: Mark W

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Oh and Mark,
Is that a TigerFish in your avatar??
Looks like a good one.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Anyone about in the sussex area on Sunday? I doubt I'll be able to get there early as I'll be out on Saturday night at some crappy party the wife's dragging me to but I fancy a day out on Sunday. Will have a load of shiney new plugs to try after the CLA fair :)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Love to Chad and I am on a roll at the moment but sadly (!!!!) I will be diving in Egypt! Its a tough life!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Mark, not much to add to the excellent advice given above.

The undercliff walk and groynes east of the marina can be good when high water coincides with first/last light.

Low water is more tricky as there are only a few spots that give access to deeper water. If you plan on trying the chalk reef then shallow divers and surface lures are a good option.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Mark, the advice given before comes from people infinitely more knowledgeable than me but I have spent most of my time in the rocks west of eastbourne. Its tricky getting over these rocks and has some deeper rock pools that can catch out the unwary. Dave Irving manages it in hiking boots but clumsy old codgers like me favour chest waders! The waters are relatively shallow with odd deeper spots but it can be tackle hungry - I think I must have bought Mr Fish a new car by now!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and Mark,
Is that a TigerFish in your avatar??
Looks like a good one.
Hi Dave many thanks for the advice. Yes, I believe the avatar photo is indeed a Tiger Fish but sadly not one I caught, a photo sent to me by a friend to make me jealous, but what awesome fish!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts