The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from an idea in the catch reports, I was thinking that we ought to get as many Sussex pluggers together for a meet before the season ends. Weymouth was a great chance to put faces to names and whilst I have met a number of local pluggers, it would be nice to catch up with a few more (and steal their ideas!).

I suggest a reasonably large mark (to cope with thousands!) and well known so anyones top secret marks can remain secret. My limited knowledge suggests beaches around shoreham, possibly Pagham or west of eastbourne but is anyone else up for this and if so, have any suggestions for time and place?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andrew,
Sounds like a plan to me, mentioned it Andy C who I bumped into earlier-I hope he will be up for it as well.
I would think of a few venues and decide closer to the time depending on the weather.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd love to actually make it to a meet, count me in commitments permitting. Out of interest, I had a quick go at Shoreham beach last night about half way up the tide, but the lure was weeded up almost instantly and there were visible clumps on the surface again. few days of northerly winds should help, or I'd say definitely not here!
Mike

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Definitely of interest to me as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Would definitely be interested - might be able to get some advice on a plugging rod (among other things :) )

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like enough to make it fun! I will check tides and discuss with the Oracle (Dave Irving!).

·
Banned
891 Posts
Beaches around shoreham way have been very hit and miss, suggest the under cliff walk perhaps meeting at that pub in saltdean/rottingdean then using the mile to the marina???

depends how many show though.... if it's a low, seaford head could be good after some good northerlies....

What'd you reckon?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
If it stays northerly then undercliff might be worth a look-although I am bagging my fav bit ;-), just kidding.
Trouble is both undercliff's and seaford head will be a wash out if the winds switch southerly for more than a few hours.
I was on the reef this morning over dead low-had a couple of bass (noting to get excited about size wise), still coloured. But it is clearing-keep your fingers crossed.

When (date/time of day) are we thinking of having the meet?? then we can have a look at what the tides will???

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Been over to Shoreham as well to fish with Mike Kennard, water is pretty clear, and a few fish showing-including the micro bass that tried to hump my Duo 105LD.
But with near a mile and half of the beach towards worthing being occupied by an army of worm drowners-didn't get to fish all the area I wanted to check. I really hate the attitude that "they" own the beach. Tempting to head back with some tropical gear and practise some GT popping. Would serve them right for trying to say the beach is closed to anyone not in their comp.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am easy! It needs to be somewhere where we can spread out a bit so we have some room if a few turn up. These northerlies are hopefully going to clear the water although Shoreham was quite clear when I went yesterday. Seaford head probably needs a low tide or else we access via Cuckmere Haven but anyone else got a view? Tides for next weekend are neaps so may be better to plan for the following weekend. I am guessing a Saturday or Sunday as I assume that most people cant skive a weekday like I am lucky enough to!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Differcult Andrew,
I know it may be neaps next weekend, but it will give hw at first light.
Winds are a bit all over the place this week, but the water should be clearing until midweek, then who knows.

·
Banned
891 Posts
I'm probably the opposite to everyone else here, at the moment can only do weekdays during work hours 10-4 so I don't have to tell the wife, I'm working from home at the mo.... (she gave me the choice, her or fishing.... I chose fishing initially but that didn't work out too well! so now I have to hide it to get the best of both worlds)...... Also having lost all my confidence lures, I shouldn't really fish until next friday when my new lures turn up.... but I may be able to get them sooner, fingers crossed....

There is another option, seaford beach is big enough to accommodate large numbers, low water can be productive there....

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I know I instigated this but as this is my first season lure fishing seriously, I dont feel quaified to advise on a location. I dont want to abdicate responsibility but I will happily go with the general consensus as far as date and location is concerned. I generally fish first light but several people have indicated interest from further afield that might make first light difficult. I suppose they can always join us when they can. As far as time and date is concerned, I guess the old adage, 'cant please all the people all the time' will apply. Next Friday? Next weekend? Anyone got any thoughts (he says ducking fast!)?

·
Banned
891 Posts
My opinion, set a date, get numbers, set venue day or two before...... As different places fish better during different states of tide/wind direction....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts