The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the reef by the marina from about two hours into the flood until high water. Fishing was slow, when I first arrived the front 20 metres of water was soup with clearer water behind, second cast resulted in a nice scrap on the yo-zuri mag popper in sandeel, the wee bassy would probably just tip the scales at four pound, she was probably the best fight I've had this year because of the shallow water took a good few mins to get her in and beached...

I tried 5 or 6 lures, other than the mag popper, zonk, gataride, yellow patch, feed shallow, mag darter and the patch 100... The only other lures to land fish were the feed shallow and the gataride when the water got deep enough... It was a fish an hour, 4 landed in total. I lost a nish fish on the feed shallow, hook pulled and I did a henry gilbey, I really let the sea know what I thought of it!!!

One thing has now totally been proved on this mark, for some reason for me the state of tide is totally irrelevant, it will only fish until about 12:30 then it goes dead for the afternoon....

Anyone know of a fair mark around the brighton/shoreham area where there is a good chance of a fish mid afternoon in sunshine???

I'll upload a couple of pix when I get home... One last thing to mention, the soup nearly disappeared over high water and was only found in pockets around the groynes...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well done Robert - you fared much better than me yesterday. I had a look a little East of you about half way up the flood but water was very coloured............wasted some time in the clearer water to he West of the Marina before heading towards Shoreham...............and blanked :(

BTW I have had fish along that way albeit slightly East after high in the afternoon..sometimes clearer water puts in an appearance on the drop...over top of tide it has been SW winds that have given best results for me.........

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had fish in the afternoon but not many, the sw's do give a nice chop and thats when I've had them in the afternoon but, if you hit the reef in the morning you can almost guarantee 3+ bass (considering I usually only do 1-2 hours anyway) which isn't a great sesh but it makes the 50 mile round trip worth it...

I had a look at the beaches immediately west of the marina the other day... blanked... can they produce? is there a particular hot spot?

Attached is the mag popper caught bass, pik doesn't do it any justice, for some reason since I sent my phone off to nokia the camera does it's own thing, it's the best pik of a bad bunch, a bit gutting really....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Robert,
Caught loads of bass in the afternoon/evenings/night in the same area that you mentioned above, in fact my best sessions have all been late afternoon/early evening-However apart from the biggest tides never managed to fish anything deeper than a Tide Minnow without bumping/clipping the reef all the way through the retrieve.In fact I either fish it on dead low-casting from the edge of the reef, or about 1.5 hours either side of high- Otherwise there generally isn't enough water over the reef to make it fishable.
I normally do well on topwaters Patchinko/Z Claw/Spook Jnr, but also Duo DC12/Feed Shallows/Small size Diawa Chuggers/Duo SLD-F 125.
Dead flat conditions beat the life out of fishing in a chop down there for me. The area where Andrew got his decent bass when he fished with you is the best bet.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nice one Robert! Now we've got to get you trying those softies though!!!

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andrew, looking to build up the collection for the early season strom beach fun!!

Dave, I picked up the bigger on about 20m west of where Andrew had his plumper.... Theres a fairly large (15-20ft squared) "deep" hole in the vicinity.....

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Nothing wrong with that picture Robert, sounds like a good session.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
We dont hear of many catch reports from the South East, and I think kost of us outsiders consider your region one of the heardest places in the south, well done Robert, nice fishing matey.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice fish - went down to same area for first hour of the ebb. Managed a schoolie first cast on a Feedshallow mullet! Nothing else followed but had to go back to work :( hoping catch a few over the next few days.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks ****, ryan, andy. I don't think our patch of coast is particularly hard to catch fish from, we just don't seem to have the numbers of larger fish that the rest of the south seems to have... all year I know of only 6 doubles that have been landed from my bit of coast/river system... it kind of puts people off writing reports I think, only having schoolies to brag about but bass do something for me, I don't care how big they are, they're such a majestic animal, predatorial perfection...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts